This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AIGLX

Ive just upgraded to Edgy Eft and was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to run AIGLX. I tried GLX on dapper but it ran so sloooow that it was not usable. Ive also tried the Kororaa 0.3CD and have no problem with their new AIGLX (or the old GLX). Why is Kubuntu GLX so slow in comparison? I have pretty ordinary Intel 852/855 hardware, but seeing things works fine using Kororaa I'm hoping for similar performance under Kubuntu.

Re: AIGLX

AIGLX in Edgy is built-in to Xwindows, so you just need to install compiz and compiz-gnome and run compiz. No need to install third-party soft, cause it does not work. I tried to install something from the AIGLX/Compiz website and I had a lot of problems.

Comment

It's called XGL, not GLX.

XGL is slower on certain hardware because of the way it works, AIGLX and XGL are 2 very different ways of achieving the same compositing effects, AIGLX being more practical to use now since it doesn't interfere with other GL applications, so you can run that favorite 3D game without having to turn the wobbly effects off. , and as Wizzard already said, you already have AIGLX built into X in Edgy, so it's just a matter of downloading Official Compiz or Beryl and running them.

Whether you want Compiz or Beryl is up to you, Beryl is a fork of the Official Compiz, and Beryl has more 'flash' to it like a window themer with many themes, more effects and plugins, and Beryl isn't dependent on GNOME like Compiz is.

Comment

Doh!! XGL XGL AIXGL (practicing). OK its working. I just typed compiz at the command prompt and it runs! many times improvement on speed of XGL. Although Ive lost my window decorations. Is there a run down on using AIGLX somewhere?

Comment

OK. for information. compiz-start seems to enable the window decorations and start compiz properly. XGL XGL XGL

Comment

Working...
          X