Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone bought a Kubuntu Focus laptop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone bought a Kubuntu Focus laptop?

I was just on the Kubuntu site and noticed that they're now selling their own laptop, the Kubuntu Focus. Just wondering if anyone here has bought one or is planning to.

It looks great to me, but the deal-breaker would be its display size--it's only available in one size, and that's 15.6". I'm too spoiled now by my System76 laptops' 17.3" screens to want to drop down that much for my primary computer. But I'd like to support them by buying one, letting them know there's a market out there. Maybe if I ever get back to normal and want a laptop for the patio again, I'll get one.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

I did. Model 1.

There are some oddities to it but then again I'm used to systems 8 plus years old. I had the fortune to buy new and went with this over Sys76 due to cost at the time and available ports.

After having to learn some things about UEFI to make a Gparted boot disk, I got this laptop where I want it. I'm very pleased. I hope for a long life. Some specs in sig below.

It comes with 20.04, just don't know if I should upgrade to 20.10 or not.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
      I did. Model 1.

There are some oddities to it but then again I'm used to systems 8 plus years old. I had the fortune to buy new and went with this over Sys76 due to cost at the time and available ports.

After having to learn some things about UEFI to make a Gparted boot disk, I got this laptop where I want it. I'm very pleased. I hope for a long life. Some specs in sig below.
      Excellent! Thanks for the input.

It's funny, but the LAST place I ever would've thought to look for Kubuntu computers was...drum roll please...Kubuntu! Seriously, it never entered my mind to look there when laptop shopping. I'm very excited that they're doing this, and I really hope it doesn't fizzle out. They need to get the word out! I mean if I--a Kubuntu user since 5.04--had no clue, how will others?

It comes with 20.04, just don't know if I should upgrade to 20.10 or not.
      Based solely on my recent, disastrous issues...I'd say leave well enough alone! YMMV.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Exactly the motivation I needed! To NOT buy off the shelf! Wow, the prices. And you are stuck with a graphics card versus on-board Intel? Brand of mobo? I do, of course, understand retailing. Build yourself, DIY, get your own system spec'd the way to want it and wish to buy it (by researching reviews etc. on the Internet), and save ... what? at least 20+%, maybe 25-33%? Nowadays, spec-ing the system is the difficult part, sort of, just takes a little time. Building it is simply a matter of connecting connectors, most of which can only go one way. Main ingredient: Patience. And don't panic during burn-in if something isn't quite right. But for those who wish not to DIY, yes, let's support Kubuntu all the way!
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post

Based solely on my recent, disastrous issues...I'd say leave well enough alone! YMMV.
          Yeah, I followed that thread. I hate that you went through that. That is my apprehension going to 20.10 at the moment. All so far is how I like it, so really probably will stay on 20.04 until the next LTS release.

Just hope the KFocus folks keep their Repo up to date then for the M1 model.

If not, I hope by then I know this system inside and out.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            Exactly the motivation I needed! To NOT buy off the shelf! Wow, the prices. And you are stuck with a graphics card versus on-board Intel? Brand of mobo? I do, of course, understand retailing. Build yourself, DIY, get your own system spec'd the way to want it and wish to buy it (by researching reviews etc. on the Internet), and save ... what? at least 20+%, maybe 25-33%?

Nowadays, spec-ing the system is the difficult part, sort of, just takes a little time. Building it is simply a matter of connecting connectors, most of which can only go one way. Main ingredient: Patience. And don't panic during burn-in if something isn't quite right. But for those who wish not to DIY, yes, let's support Kubuntu all the way!
            Yeah, it was the prices that always kept me buying new. Fortune had it that I had the opportunity and KFocus was just in the model migration so it was worth the chance.

Never had new. Always rebuilding others I found on the cheap.

Comment

Working...
            X