This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Laptop Suggestions?

Okay, looks like I'm finally in the market for a new laptop as the old one is finally packing it in. (kinda wondered why it was acting so weird) Anyhow, you guys have given me excellent suggestions for laptops in the past for friends and family, and I've appreciated it. However, it's been long enough since the last suggestion that none of those are available yet, and laptop tech has all moved on. Anyhow, here's what I found when I first began looking, which looks to REALLY be a good choice:

https://www.amazon.com/LENOVO/dp/B07ZB5QH7G/

However, there's one issue with that. NO WIRED NIC!! Given that I work with high security stuff, I can't have wifi on my network as it's a security risk. So all wired or no go. Now, that being said, I *could* buy this and go with a USB nic, but that's kinda the clunky way to resolve my dilemma of no wired nic. That being said, the specs on that Lenovo are perfect for what I need. The only thing I still need is a built in wired nic. And I don't care if it's a Lenovo or some other brand. I want reliable, compatible, wired nic, and good battery life. So any suggestions are more than welcome.

And as always, you guys rock!

Originally posted by megosdog View Post
    ... Given that I work with high security stuff, ...
    and
    Originally posted by megosdog View Post
    ... I don't care if it's a Lenovo or some other brand ...
    In that case, I wonder if Lenovo is "safe" given its ownership.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
      and

In that case, I wonder if Lenovo is "safe" given its ownership.
      In the current international sourcing and transit of almost every manufacturer's PC/laptop components, that fact of life is nearly impossible to overcome, economically. In my own area of interest, workstations and laptops of all kinds of pedigrees show up in secure facilities. The means to allow that is based on secure prep, and selection and configuration of security correct software and firmware.

It can be done, and is done every day!

OP: There still are a fair number of laptops that have ethernet connections built in. Lenovo, HP, Surface, Asus, Dell, at the least still have models built that way.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Jglen490, do you have any suggestions for laptops similar in specs to that one? As for the "secure" part, that I can handle myself as that's part of my job to secure stuff like that. ^_^ I can figure that part out. It's just getting some models to look at that I'm struggling with.

Comment

lol, Hey, GreyGeek, I'm not keeping Win10 on the laptop. That's getting wiped off there as soon as I get it and Kubuntu going on. I just need the laptop itself. ^_^

Comment

Well, in that case:
            I've been using Acer laptops for 20 years and ALLhave been completely compatible with every Linux distro I've used.
            Here's one that has 7.5 hours of battery life, 512GB of SSD, an Ethernet port and an 802.11ac wifi, and
            https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Display-...=1&s=pc&sr=1-3

Acer Aspire 5 A515-43-R6DE comes with these high level specs: AMD Ryzen 7 3700U Dual-Core Processor 2. 3GHz with Precision Boost up to 4. 0GHz (Up to 4MB L3 Cache), Windows 10 Home, 15. 6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display, AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 Mobile Graphics, 8GB DDR4 Memory, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, True Harmony Technology, Two Built-in Stereo Speakers, Acer Purified. Voice Technology with Two Built-in Microphones, 802. 11ac WiFi featuring 2x2 MIMO technology (Dual-Band 2. 4GHz and 5GHz), 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port), Bluetooth 4. 0, Back-lit Keyboard, HD Webcam (1280 x 720), 1 - USB 3. 1 Gen 1 Port, 2 - USB 2. 0 Ports, 1 - HDMI Port with HDCP support, Lithium-Ion Battery, Up to 7. 5-hours Battery Life, 3. 97 lbs. | 1. 8 kg (system unit only) (NX. HG8AA. 002).
            All for the low, low price of $650!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'd trade having to use a dongle for having better screen resolution.

If your employer has a workplace benefits section that offers discounts on products and services , like Beneplace, you can get steep discounts.

This Lenovo
              Lenovo 15' has a model for $715, but I can get it for $618, and it has an Ethernet port. Most "gaming' laptops will have one, so it is worth looking at some of the less obnoxiously styled ones, like this.

I wish this one was on sale, or even existed a few months back when I got my Lenovo Flex 15. Not much more money (~60) plus a real video card, but giving up on touch screen.

There are also Thinkpads to consider, like this if you don't mind a 14 inch screen.
              https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/benepla...4/p/20RA0073US

I have been happy with my last three four Lenovo products , and they seem to have a decent and active Linux-specific section on their support forums.

Comment

I can only suggest a "to do" for you: Check ASUS. Mine is a 6 yrs now, i5, so I'm out of it. But I can give reasons why: 1) ASUS excellent support; (2) ASUS DIY and gaming support; (3) ASUS wonderful UEFI (BIOS) implementation--super user friendly. I don't know how to compare to the highly recommended Lenovo (see above), without research. Problem is, what if my laptop lasts forever? I'll never be able to research this issue ;-) .
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

System76

Please Read Me

Comment

These days I swear by the HP business line. Elitebook and ProBook. Solid constructions. Good EFI implementation. oS independent bios upgrades. Usually have Ethernet ports.

You can refurbs for 500$ bucks or less. New ones are pricy though.

I own three of them.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

What they said ^^^

Where I work the SCIFs use HPs, I have heard of others that use Lenovos, too. All the above should be good starting point, it just depends on if there is a STIG.
                      Last edited by jglen490; Aug 16, 2020, 07:19 PM.
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        I can only suggest a "to do" for you: Check ASUS. Mine is a 6 yrs now, i5, so I'm out of it. But I can give reasons why: 1) ASUS excellent support; (2) ASUS DIY and gaming support; (3) ASUS wonderful UEFI (BIOS) implementation--super user friendly. I don't know how to compare to the highly recommended Lenovo (see above), without research. Problem is, what if my laptop lasts forever? I'll never be able to research this issue ;-) .
                        Other than the system76 Gazelle I bought for myself a year ago, the last three laptops I've purchased for my family members have been ASUS. Several years ago I had a nice bespoke DELL and spilled a glass of water on it (it was a beautiful launch) and the only laptop the repair shop had that met my specs was an ASUS. I've been hooked on them ever since.

Ed

P.S. I did buy an ACER Nitro Black used from a friend of a friend cheap because their son managed to get some ransomware on it. After ditching Windows and loading Kubuntu it too served me very well.
                        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Cool! Great suggestions, guys! I'll give these a crawl and see which one I like best! Thanks!

Comment

FYI, I picked up a refub Lenovo. The only thing I can't get working under Kubuntu is the touchpad, but that's apparently a known issue given how it handles interaction between the bios and the touchpad, and because I'm operating in legacy mode to make Kubuntu work. Hopefully, once Barrier and a few other apps are available for 20.04 I can make the jump, at which point I'll have everything working under UEFI correctly, and that should work. And if not, meh, no biggy. I prefer external mice anyways.

Comment

Lenovo is always a good choice. What are its specs?
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X