This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple, no-frills photograph scanner?

I just got thoroughly overwhelmed searching, in vain, for a bare-bones photo scanner.

All I want it to do is: be stationary, have a feeder, accommodate photos of varying sizes dating back decades [not 8x10 or anything that big, more like 4x6, 3x5, whatever typical image sizes were when printed]. Bonus points if I can connect it to my Wi-Fi network and can save its files on networked drives. Acceptable if it's USB, as long as it works with Linux.

I don't need or want any frills! Just feed it photos and have it save the files where I can easily access them.

I figured this would be a trivial pursuit, and that such a creature would cost <$100. I was wrong! I stopped looking when fancy-schmancy scanners in four figures showed up.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
    ... a bare-bones photo scanner...
    All I want ... a feeder, accommodate photos of varying sizes dating back decades ...
    IMO, if you want reasonable quality, a feeder won't work well at any price, and would risk damaging the photos.

IMO, it's a job better done by a service that has decades of experience, even though they cost a lot.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks, John.

I definitely would not want to damage any photos, but I was hoping to do this myself. I need things to do!

But they have to meet my specific needs. I thought this would be something I could work on, 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there, until it was done. In my case, it's not the end product so much as getting there.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Never mind! I went ahead and ordered a scanner that looked pretty much as I imagined, and can be used with or without a computer. So I added an SD card to the order, and they're on their way, out for delivery today.

Its feeder handles photos of various sizes, and the scanner [supposedly] automatically detects the size, and scans accordingly. If it really works like that, I won't need to manually edit each scan, like I used to when using a full-sized scanner, to crop it down to just the photo. We'll see!

Comment

My wife's relative asked for copies of her historical photos and documents from the mid to late 1800s. This morning I took by GS10 and photographed them all in about 3 minutes. I used Dolphin to connect to my phone and copied the photos to my Pictures folder. I used Gwenview to crop (and sometimes rotate) the photos. Then I used Thunderbird to email them one at a time (avg size 2.4Mb) to her relative. Total time about 15-20 minutes.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I looked into this a decade ago and they were $1000 back then. I ended up with a 4800dpi Canon flatbed that I could put 5-6 pictures on or 4 slides at a time. Then I used VueScan (pro registered version) to scan each photo/slide individually. I would just plop the photos down when I was doing other things and scan them as I did whatever. Took a few months to get through them all, but it was piece-meal when I had time so it didn't seem all that difficult of a task.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have thousands of photos to scan, and I definitely don't have the patience [or energy] to do them via full-sized scanner!

Oh, I tried...gosh...the first time was in my old house, so 15+ years ago, then again here at some point. It just wasn't worth the hassle.

I think all along I was waiting...waiting...for a usable photo scanner to be invented...and, alas!, it has.

Comment

You know, once you finish with the project you could sell it or do a little side-business!

Please Read Me

Comment

You're on the same wavelength I am, @oshunluvr!

Seriously, I was thinking once I'm done scanning all my photos, what good will it be? So I said to myself, hmmm...I could do small-scale conversion jobs for other people. Or sell it.

Comment

This is what I bought; they arrived last night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drives_scanner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	644826

You'll note that in addition to the photo scanner, there are two 1TB external drives--they're replacing the two existing, still perfectly good ones mentioned in another thread.

The photo scanner pretty much fit my criteria. The SD card lets it function as a standalone unit, no need to be connected to a computer [though it can be, via USB]. Now all that remains is to see how well it actually works!

Comment

Looking forward to your report, AND lusting after those two 1TB drives
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

They're cheap inexpensive, GG! Each is <$60 and if history can be counted on, great quality. They're replacing identical drives that have hummed along for six years, with no hiccups. They're Transcend, military drop-tested, USB drives. Worth every cent...and then some!

Comment

Do you just reformat the entire drive to eliminate their software and 256 bit AES encryption folders and app?

Comment

To be [painfully] honest...I didn't do anything to the new ones--and absolutely do not recall formatting the old ones.

I simply deleted their [worthless, useless, windows and Mac] software, and plunged in backing up files.

Comment

Working...
                            X