X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

both SNAP and deb unintended consequences

Hi
    this is a mild irritation and also funny.

As per a discussion about "bulgy" url boxes in FF 75 I installed FF75 using a SNAP package because one cannot have "two versions" of an app on an OS at the same time, and "apparently" installing it from SNAP puts the whole thing into "another pathway" and so Kubuntu does not get "crosseyed" trying to figure out which one to launch.

BUT that leads to the law of unintended consequences in that...in this case... there are now two versions of Firefox, and I imagine it also happens with other apps, I have two versions of GIMP also. lol

But, I had noticed with GIMP the same behaviour that I now see with FF.

the icons for BOTH are the same and the names for BOTH are the same.

The only way to distinguish them is their position in the launcher, and if one uses the launcher that keeps the history then they move back and forth depending upon which was used last!

So, one cannot just "edit applications" in the menu and change out the icon in the box because ...now get this... in the edit function there is only "one version" lol...

So, anyway, I tried to find the icons in usr/ and SNAP is there but I can't figure out how to actually change out an icon for it and same for the original. It used to be that one could go to root, which one cannot now do and get into the folders.

lol

So, point here is... it might be a really good thing if someone who actually KNOWS about all this stuff could post a how-to to change out the icons on either the old or the new.

And, for the "newbies" it used tobe that one just called up the properties of the app in the menu and there was an icon and you clicked the icon and it would give you a drop down menu of ALL of the available icons, one could put an image of a chemical beaker into it and Firefox, or whatever, would have the beaker for the icon.

LOL... just waay too much stuff! lol

woodlovesKubuntuNEONsmoke
Working...
X