This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Adept behind the times?

I was trying to get Amarok to manage podcasts (not too successful) and noticed that there was a newer version.
    My question: Why can't it be got via Adept (which is a staggering peice of kit, from a Windows perspective)?

I cetainly can't understand how you're supposed to upgrade things without using Adept - but I wondered if it was bad idea. Do they only go on Adept when they've survived a period (i.e. glitches spotted and sorted) - is that the reason?

Re: Why is Adept behind the times?

Hmmm...I installed Amarok via Synaptic. Synaptic and Adept share the same databases. Maybe you don't have the right repositories installed...

Comment

If I remember correctly it was the Amarok website that said that IT had a newer version than Adept.
      I'm trying to understand why Adept is (perhaps deliberatly) behind the times, since I haven't a clue how to update without it!

Comment

It's is not Adept that's "behind the times." New stuff aren't automatically added to our repositories immediately. First, they have to check out the new release and make sure that installing/updating it won't adversely affect an already stable system. Then they have to build it and then upload it. Of course, this would only happen if someone is available to test and package the new release. For some apps like Amarok, that would be easy. Other "less known" apps/packages don't get to be so lucky.

Btw, which version of Amarok are you looking for?
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I understand - there is indeed a reason why things don't get in the depository immediately they are released. That's fine. the whole damn system is wonderful anyway, just wondered!

I had Amarok 1.4.3, then the web site said there was a newer version. Since I couldn't quite understand how their podcast system worked I figured this could be useful update. BUt it specifically said it wasn't in the depository and needed to be downloaded and then fiddled with for a week with a geek, or a fortnight on your own so I didn't bother. Hence my original question about Adept.

As of now I can't remember if it was Amarok or Firefox or even Kontact - they're al brand new to me, so forgive me - it was one of them! However, rather than download compile fiddle with it fifty-three ways, I'll happily wait til you guys put it on Adept.

Shame when they install they don't add themselves to the menu - GnuCash and Bluefish for instance - but there you go - even Windows wasn't perfect!!!

Thanks for your time!

Comment

You're probably referring to Amarok. Well, Amarok updates are usually put announced in http://www.kubuntu.org with instructions on how to upgrade. In most cases, you have to add special Amarok repositories. However, in the near future, Amarok updates would be available in the dapper-backports repository, which is already in your list but just disabled.

As for newly installed apps not appearing immediate in the K Menu, it's a Kubuntu sickness (that I think will disappear in the next release). you can try entering this command in Konsole to refresh your K Menu so that the new apps would appear.

Code:
            kbuildsycoca --incremental
            Hope that helps.
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

No, that Konsole command didn't do anything.
              Thanks again for your help.
              Prnter and webcam next....
              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X