This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of the box user experience with Audio CDs

Got my wife a new laptop the other day and as it went through the door the pre-installed Windows magically changed to Kubuntu.
    Her needs are pretty basic and she doesn't care what she's using as long as it works. Email, Internet is all straight forward but I am now challenged with making Audio-CDs simple.
    Ideally what I'd like is Windows behaviour, CD is inserted and the player of choice starts.
    Alternatively some sort of a notification which asks what you want to do with the CD, similar to what happens when you plug in a USB stick.

The out of the box experience is that Dolphin will show the CD drive and when selected the CD filesystem will show. Seeing the full content of the CD is already more than is required because there are additional folders like FLAC, CDA, etc. which just get in the way.

But the songs are there and can be selected, unfortunately it looks like Dolphin has got some special way of handling Audio-CDs in that it's doing some examination first, then copies the file and finally opens the default player.
    And this whole examining/copying/loading process takes up to 30 seconds per song (!) on my high level laptop during which the CD drive roars and stutters like it's about to launch into space. On her laptop this noisy process takes even longer with some songs not opening at all.
    Hence opening a song with Dolphin isn't option either.
    Once a song opened the default is VLC which didn't quite work either as I couldn't figure out how to display the name of the song instead of Track xx, sometimes I saw one song, sometimes all of them, in short not an option.

So I went out looking for alternatives to VLC, the first couple of CD-Players which came up in Discover didn't work at all or crashed when confronted with a CD.

Audacious was the first one which seems like it could fit the bill. Simple enough UI, and when pointed to the CD showed all songs, played straight away without any CD drive noise and rumbling.
    The only issue left is that somehow Audacious won't update the playlist when a new CD is inserted. But I'll take this up with them directly.

I have a simple enough working solution, although not yet finally approved by the powers to be , but thought I nevertheless ask a few questions:

- Does anyone know of other options of a simplistic CD player which does exactly that and only that, reliably play a CD?

- When I right click the Audio CD entry in the "Places" panel in Dolphin the context menu gives the option to Eject the CD, is there a way to add a "Open with CD-Player" menu item to Dolphin whenever a CD is detected? I know one can add context menus to the files panel but haven't found anything to manipulate the places panel.
Working...
X