Kubuntu needs to keep Release Upgrade to Normal when upgrading to LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu needs to keep Release Upgrade to Normal when upgrading to LTS

I like using non LTS versions of Kubuntu but if I get a notification and upgrade to LTS the software sources changes to LTS which is wrong. Kubuntu needs to remember which release upgrade is chosen by the user and not change it.

Suppose if I set up a computer (NON LTS) for a non tech user then their computer turns to LTS every two years and it becomes permanent for them. Completely wrong, since I do not want LTS for home use.

Yes, you would think that keeping the existing setting would happen, or be the expected behavior.
    Ubuntu sets this behavior, though I am not sure at the moment if it is bug or by design, or on purpose for some technical reason.

The argument can be made for this the other way as well, too -- keep the non-tech user on LTS, so they don't need to go through OS upgrades every 6 months..........?
    It is far easier to send screenshots for the very simple action needed to change this, but then have to walk those folks through multiple upgrades, and their potential problems.

Comment

The default for LTS is to upgrade to the next LTS, and presumably to the next available for non-LTS. But it's easy to change in Synaptic.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

… or if you don't want to use some extra program like Synaptic, just open the
        --> Konsole terminal emulator
        --> enter sudo software-properties-qt and your password
        --> select the Updates tab in this Software Sources program
        --> set the release-upgrade behaviour for your use case in Release upgrade.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
        X