X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help/suggestions for calendar for the sight impaired

This might be Linux related, sort of.

My 89 year old mother has macular degeneration. We sold her car last year. She can't read letters. She still has a Gmail email account but can't keep up (dementia creeping in). Lately she has been losing track of the day of the week, which is important for doctor appointments. We got her a large letter (8.5 inches) electronic calendarhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but the letters aren't distinct enough to read (S looks like a 5, etc). Which led me to this brainstorm ...

I envision a large PC monitor screen, say 22 inches diagonal, with the day of the week at the top in letters large enough to fill frame to frame. The month and year could follow on the next lines. Design criteria:

1. Large video monitor screen (could be thrift shop item to keep cost down).
    2. Raspberry Pi ? as a smart controller to run only a calendar app. Could be mounted up behind the monitor to hide it.
    3. Must be fully recoverable from power drops - boot up and run calendar app.
    4. Other functions such as temperature display, auto dimming and alarms would be likely add-ons for a wider audience but they would only complicate this for my mother. Programmed dimming for sleeping hours would be ideal though.
    5. Needs appropriate calendar application.

The calendar application is the biggie problem for me. I can put together hardware - been building my own PCs since 1988. I can load OS and suitable applications of course but programming has never been my thing. DOS batch files were fun! Here is a crude but simple layout:

SATURDAY (full width, frame-to-frame)

..APRIL 24 (couldn't get these lines to center without dots)

I think this project is do-able and I think it may have benefits for sight impaired more generally. But there doesn't see to be a forum that addresses these questions as part of its mission. That's why I'm asking here. If you know of a better forum for such a project please let me know. I hope i have described adequately what I am trying to do.

-=Ken=-
    Last edited by kenj70; Apr 24, 2018, 04:40 PM.
    -=Ken=-
    "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
    DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

I got to thinking that there must be an appliance that already does that. And there is, IF you don't mind shelling over $339 for a 24" LCD display.

Your Pi device with a cheep display and running Puppy or some small Linux distro with a calendar app would be more than enough. However, to maintain time sync with Internet UTC time she'd need an Internet connection. Even just a cheap 5Mbps connection.

OR, how about Echo Dot Gen 1, for between $30-$50?
    https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Echo-D...keywords=alexa

Using it she would NOT need to see, and from any place in the room she could just ask "Alexa, what time is it?" Or, "Alexa, set an appointment for me on next Tuesday at 3PM with Dr Jones".
    She could also ask it other questions too, like "Alexa, What will the weather be for today?"
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 24, 2018, 01:44 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi again,

I updated my original post to show the link to the device we already tried. My mother thought the S in Saturday was a 5 !

I'm surprised someone hasn't thought of this idea already. But I can't find a more appropriate forum to ask these things. There are some wonderful DIY Tech forums now but most (younger) people are building video game consoles with them. Hah!

IoT devices are tempting, and that's why they are selling so well. I used to be in charge of computer security for a gov't LAN and have some knowledge of security problems. I will not recommend IoT devices to anyone - warn them away. Security is very lax and after the Google/Facebook/YouTube/Twitter online thuggery I am loath to be affiliated with any of them. I'm not 100 percent out of those resources but perhaps 80 percent. You are right though - she wouldn't have to see!

We just bought two 24 inch monitors for $139 usd on sale at Bestbuy and I can pick up a used monitor at a thrift store for about $30. A Raspberry Pi costs $35 but for this application I wouldn't need the latest so that cost could even be trimmed. You can get these with a minimal Linux called Raspbian I think and my mother has free wi-fi in her facility. A network time update every few days would be plenty good.

-=Ken=-
      -=Ken=-

Comment

Ya, you could set up a cron task to do an time update once a week. Time drift depends on several factors but with today's hardware It's probably less than 1 minute/24 hours so it would probably be less than 7 minutes a week.

To use Internet time settings you'd have to install ntp. In /etc/ntp.conf set the server setting to "server pool.ntp.org" and issue "sudo systemctl start ntpd" to start it. Issuing "suso ntpdate pool.ntp.org" will reset the time immediately, or do it in a bash script.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 24, 2018, 07:13 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks for additional info. I found some code to extract the date in html. hadn't thought of Bash scripts. I am so, so rusty when it comes to shell scripts. And there are so many more commands available since my HP-UX days nerly 30 years ago. But some shell scripts might be the most efficient way to do this.

I was thinking about an alternative "brain" for this project. I know there have been clock chips for years but don't know if that would be any better than a tiny Linux box. Keep hearing about "Arduno" or something, don't know what that is.

Summer has come to the Pacific Northwest, at least for a week, and I am not likely to make much headway on this project. I will be out hiking on Thursday with long time hiking friends. Maybe a shell refresher this evening.

Cheers,

-=Ken=-
          -=Ken=-

Comment

Well this is off the wall but it might work

How about just setting the clock in the panel to interact with Kontact or whatever and then just drag the bottom panel up to where it covers the bottom quarter of the screen.
            the clock will be there but it will also display a reminder, when I tried it the display was about an inch and a half high black text on the white panel. The clock can be set to display the full date time etc.

and of course it will display popup remidners etc that you can set in a personal calendar.

just a thought

woodsmoke

Comment

You could install tty-clock which is a terminal clock

Code:
              sudo apt install tty-clock
              You could then set Konsole to auto open with it in a customised profile (for font and appearance). In Konsole, go to settings, click New Profile and edit the command field to something like

Click image for larger version

Name:	date.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	643844

In the appearance tab, you can change the font size to be big enough to read. Then when you select the profile, it will automatically start.

For automatically starting the program on startup, you could put the following in the autostart applications dialog.

Code:
              konsole --profile NAMEOFPROFILE --fullscreen --notransparency --hide-menubar
              and that would automatically start it as a fullscreen clock.

Comment

Bings has it

woody

Comment

Then what would be neat is to scrap the screen every minute and send the text to speech out.

Comment

Sorry guys. This topic has been abandoned. My mother now has a talking wrist watch. No need to devote precious life time to it any longer. I think it is a good idea though and I hope someone picks it up. I am quite surprised no one has thought of it as a money making venture. Thanks for your input here.

-=Ken=-
                    -=Ken=-

Comment

Working...
                    X