This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi 'woodsmoke.'

I think we may get along just fine - once I figure out more what you are talkin' 'bout! I don't have a "dingus" either. <shrug> But that's OK. I find folks here are willing to TALK. Which is strangely opposite of those on the KDE Forum. So, I think I will just camp out right here - and see if I fit in and feel at home. At age 70 I realize that I am becoming a curmudgeon. And that distresses me somewhat. Good thing I have an understanding wife! Of course she is in that category as well, so she gets it.

Yes, I have indeed noticed how so many of my fellow countrymen(?) have used their freedom to destroy freedom, saying what we have now is bondage. It is a strange blindness, caused by rejecting the ultimate TRUTH (who has a name). Rejecting the truth they believed a lie.

Bedtime. Blessings,

-=Ken=-
    -=Ken=-
    "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
    DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

As one curmudgeon to another; Welcome.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Whippersnapper! Young’in

Welcome to KFN!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
          Hi 'woodsmoke.'

I think we may get along just fine - once I figure out more what you are talkin' 'bout! I don't have a "dingus" either. <shrug> But that's OK. I find folks here are willing to TALK. Which is strangely opposite of those on the KDE Forum. So, I think I will just camp out right here - and see if I fit in and feel at home. At age 70 I realize that I am becoming a curmudgeon. And that distresses me somewhat. Good thing I have an understanding wife! Of course she is in that category as well, so she gets it.

Yes, I have indeed noticed how so many of my fellow countrymen(?) have used their freedom to destroy freedom, saying what we have now is bondage. It is a strange blindness, caused by rejecting the ultimate TRUTH (who has a name). Rejecting the truth they believed a lie.

Bedtime. Blessings,

-=Ken=-
          Your dingus is most likely the three line button in the top right hand corner of the desktop.

Comment

I've wondered what the name of the "three line button" was. I vote for "dingus". Tell your friends.
            Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
              I've wondered what the name of the "three line button" was. I vote for "dingus". Tell your friends.
              according to , "configure desktop">tweaks tab it's the "Desktop Toolbox" and you can hide/disable it their.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                I do wonder how the name "hamburger menu" got attached to this. Someone must have been *really* hungry at the time

Comment

@TWPonKubuntu Thank you!

@GreyGeek Thank you, too. I'm feeling younger by the moment.

@Bings My wife came in the office room wondering what I was laughing about. It was the six (six!) posts since last night. And... you guys are a hoot! Besides being so helpful.

No I don't have a dingus. And, my "thingy" whatever is located in the upper-left. I don't suppose it matters but I used to write technical procedures and highly configurable desktops and software are more difficult to write instructions for.

BTW, I set up my old rig with KDE Neon intending to persuade my wife away from Windows 7. Alas, Quicken won't run under Wine and VirtualBox doesn't really run it the same. So, the machine is very close to a new install of Neon. And the hamburger, dingus, thingy on the old machine is as advertised, three horizontal lines inside a small matte field (on the upper-left). All that to say this: my new rig, now set up with three Activities has a different thingy! It is rectangular and <drum roll> it identifies what Activity is current! What do you think of that?

-=Ken=-
                  Last edited by kenj70; Apr 20, 2018, 06:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to thank some people.
                  -=Ken=-

Comment

kenj70
                    thankee and welcome to the friendliest forum on the net! and don't be a stranger!

woody

Comment

Thanks woody. I look forward to community here.

-=Ken=-
                      -=Ken=-

Comment

You'll love it here.

We have our debates and disagreements on occasions but we keep it civil and friendly, with no name calling.

Everyone learns from everyone else. For me, considering how rapidly my memory is fading away, this forum keeps my Linux chops better than I could keep them without it. Getting help from Oshunluver, Snowhog, VINNY, Clahdoh, SpecialEd, Qqmike, Kubicle, Rog131, woodsmoke, acheron, jlittle, whatthefunk, wizard1000, mr_raider, DoYouKubuntu, dibl, TWPonKubuntu, sithlord48, NoWorries, Teunis, and a host of others who come wondering in and out from time to time, is invaluable.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

don't ya just love autocomplete...

i too...love wondering in here...lol

woodhatesautocompletesmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                            don't ya just love autocomplete...

i too...love wondering in here...lol

woodhatesautocompletesmoke
                            I love auto-spellcheck even more. It amazes me how many words I’ve forgotten how to spell correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              I love auto-spellcheck even more. It amazes me how many words I’ve forgotten how to spell correctly.
                              Yes! Yes! A thousand times Yes!

Comment

My, my. This topic lives on! Love it.

It seems I have gotten distracted (again). I have a new question to ask so I will start a new topic.

Blessings,

-=Ken=-
                                -=Ken=-

Comment

Working...
                                X