This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baloo in 18.04

Looks like full-text indexing maybe off by default in 18.04 leaving users the option to enable it: https://phabricator.kde.org/T8256
    Kubuntu 20.04

Good. Indexing was a s l o w process and I spent more time researching how to turn if off than it would have taken to wait out the initial index process. I don't do much (none?) searching on my HD content, so Baloo was not a useful tool for me. Yeah, there are other uses for that index... but I'd rather not waste the disk space or my time.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
      Good. Indexing was a s l o w process and I spent more time researching how to turn if off than it would have taken to wait out the initial index process. I don't do much (none?) searching on my HD content, so Baloo was not a useful tool for me. Yeah, there are other uses for that index... but I'd rather not waste the disk space or my time.
      I second that. Indexing is also painfully slow in Muon as well. It must use the bubble sort. And, it rebuilds the index entirely too often. As slow as it is, once is enough, when starting up. Then it shouldn't be necessary unless one adds or removes source archives. Redoing the index almost every time one changes search terms is nonsense.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good to hear some approval.

Regards Muon, recent changes in libqapt 3.0.4 and Muon 5.8 should reduce the amount of activity from apt-xapian-index.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I was using Baloo with file content indexing active until now. Although I did run into high CPU usage, folks here helped work that out (https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...loo-going-wild).

I'll look at ack-grep now (despite the mention of "developers" in the title): https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-14-04
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I still use "locate" to find stuff on my HD. I update it every so often, or before I do some serious searching by using "sudo updatedb". It's REALLY FAST!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Doesn't locate find files but not strings within files?
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                Doesn't locate find files but not strings within files?
                Yes, that's right.

File indexing is one of the first things I turn off in a new install, so I'll be glad if it's not turned on by default in K18.04. I've never used it in K14.04 at all. I think I had it working for a while in K12.04 but it kept crashing at that time. I had a huge text reference index file that it kept choking on I think. To be fair it was probably pre-Baloo (nepomuk I think).

I can find text within files using Krusader's search function and it doesn't take that long to do this on my data ... YMMV.
                Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                  I can find text within files using Krusader's search function and it doesn't take that long to do this on my data ... YMMV.
                  Do you also have LibreOffice files to deal with? Does Krusader manage to search within those? I use a script that relies on grep for that:
                  Code:
                  #!/bin/bash

find . -type f -name "*.od*" | while read i ; do
                   [ "$1" ] || { echo "You forgot search string!" ; exit 1 ; }
                   unzip -ca "$i" 2>/dev/null | grep -iq "$*"
                   if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
                      echo "string found in $i" | nl
                   fi
                  done
                  from https://askubuntu.com/questions/9388.../938914#938914

Re. baloo gagging on certain files, I've been using a blacklist to exclude certain folders from baloo's purview. I haven't tried excluding specific files. I don't know if that's possible.
                  Last edited by chimak111; Mar 23, 2018, 05:58 AM.
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                    Do you also have LibreOffice files to deal with? Does Krusader manage to search within those?
                    Unfortunately it doesn't look like Krusader can find text within .odt files. The Krusader search function has an option to search in text files but I don't think it includes LibreOffice files. I tried it both ways and even specifying .odt files exclusively it didn't find matching text in my simple text search.

I'll must try out that little bash script you posted, it looks like it could be useful.
                    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I never got deeply into what baloo could do in terms of looking into .odt, .ods, and even pdf files. I'll enable file indexing again to see
                      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Baloo can find text within .odt, .ods, and .pdf files rather quickly! And I'll leave it on.

In case anyone is interested, the contents of my baloofilerc are here and these are the exclusions I have:
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by chimak111; Mar 23, 2018, 11:13 AM.
                        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                        X