This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] One more request for hardware advice - New desktop

Hi all. It seems I need one more bit of help with hardware choices. Right now I have an old Lenovo desktop I got for a steal, but it's 7 years old and is starting to demand retirement. lol. Ironic timing given that I just bought someone else a new laptop. Anyhow, here's what I currently have, and I'm hoping for at least the same specs, if not 50% more, and in a good, reliable form that I can expect to still be using 7 years from now. Anyhow, here's my current specs:

Intel i7-2600 (3.4ghz, 4core, 8thread)
    12gb of Ram (1333mhz)
    Lenovo board (no idea the exact model or whatnot)
    Lenovo Case with unknown PSU
    AMD Radeon 6450 (256m) <- I have a spare of the same model in a 1gb form factor I could use towards the new machine
    DVDr (don't need this in the new rig)
    2x HD's, spinning disk (256g primary and 500g backup/secondary)
    3com network card

I'm okay with going with a prebuilt as I am totally NOT a hardware guy. I think at this point the only real "requirements" that I have, which are more "would likes" than anything, is a cpu/ram that's 50% faster or better (to allow for future growth), 1gb video card (with good dual monitor support), and an SSD main drive. The second drive is only for automatic backups of important files on the main drive, and secondary storage, so that can just be a spinning disk drive if all else fails. Now, as for the main drive being SSD, a good SATA3 is okay, but I'm also hugely intrigued at these new M.2 drives.

As for what software support I need, good Linux support is the obvious first part, and the second is that I do a bunch of virtualization, so good support for VirtualBox. My current system has reasonable support, but everything dies when I try to do a 64bit guest OS on a 64bit host. So I'd want to make sure that would run well on the new system as it doesn't presently. Beyond that, as long as I can surf, play videos, edit music and videos, and do my writing without issue (I don't game, so that's not a big issue), then I'm all good to go. So once again, thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hp-750...ec:product:1:1

This was actually suggested to me by a friend as one possible solution. But what do you guys think? Worth it or avoid?

Comment

https://system76.com/desktops
      the wild dog looks to be the same price ,,,,,,,,,way better specks.

even that meerkat looks nice

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Canonical works with HP to facilitate Ubuntu working with a select group of computers. As far as desktops go, no model of the HP Envy desktop is listed in the group of certified computers, so its a risky choice.
        https://certification.ubuntu.com/cer...ase=&level=Any

HP Envy models have been around for a long time but I didn't see many posts about Linux on the model 750.
        An unverified favorable comment is here:
        https://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-e...ddr4-desktop-9

BUT, an Arch user attempted to install Arch on a 750 and was unable to do so. Because there are so many sub models to the 750 it is next to impossible to say if Linux would install on one when it won't install on another.
        https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/c..._envy_750267c/

I'd go with VINNY's suggestion of the WildDog Pro, but adding keyboard, mouse and display may put it out of your budget.

I've had excellent results with Acer's for the last 14 years. Here's a nice $800 desktop at Amazon
        https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Desktop-...3A3+GHz+%26+Up

It includes keyboard and mouse. All you need is a display. It doesn't come with a Windows install disk so if you wipe it for Linux say goodbye to Win10. You can set it up for dual booting if you shrink the Win10 partition.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 22, 2018, 08:24 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

YAY! And GrayGeek to the rescue again! WOOHOO! Glad you stopped me from buying that. I would have been hugely disappointed to get it home and then not be able to put Linux on it. Ugh. I don't need any shocks like that in my life right now. But yeah, I'll definitely look into the other certified HP models and see what I find that I like, or maybe the WildDog Pro.

Comment

Well, if budget isn’t an issue any offering by System76 is golden.
            PS- I am not their rep or receive any financial considerations, just speaking from my son’s and VINNY’s experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I installed Linux on 3 of these this week: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-min.../dp/B01DJ9XS52

or build your own. More bang for the buck IMO. Of course, you're not a hardware guy...
              Last edited by oshunluvr; Feb 24, 2018, 08:52 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Nice!
                With such a small form factor someone might put it where ventilation isn’t very good and those small devices need lots of air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They get moderately warm. I wouldn't put it under a pillow, but attached to the back of a monitor is the ultimate in micro desktop PCs IMO. I bought 12" hdmi cables so they don't hang down.

Please Read Me

Comment

Sweet! I like that minibox too!

Comment

I've actually decided to go with the System76 system. I forget which one, but it's the second model. I'm also kicking around the idea of going with, instead of a second monitor, a 43" 4k HDTV instead. Why? Well, my computer doubles as a TV, so why not have it double as a much better TV than it is right now? haha. The only downside is figuring out where to put it on the desktop. haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X