This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutdown log location?

Where might I find my shutdown logs, and how far back would my system have them if it's never been messed with?
    Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Click on the Desktop and type: KSystemLog
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you, but not finding anything from the last shutdown. Is it possible that my system does not keep any?
      Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Comment

Originally posted by citizen View Post
        Thank you, but not finding anything from the last shutdown. Is it possible that my system does not keep any?
        Nothing can be logged after the file systems are unmounted.

This will show you when you shutdown:

last -5 reboot shutdown root

You'll get a list of the last five shutdown times and the uptime.

Then, using that date/time, look in /var/log at the syslog files. "syslog" is current, syslog.1 is the previous, and earlier ones will be syslog.2.gz, etc. Those ending in gz are archives and you would have to extract them before reading them. Usually, syslog.1 will contain whatever was logged last session.

However, the stuff that scrolls down the screen when you shutdown is mostly not logged. This might help: https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...ring-power-off

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by citizen View Post
          Where might I find my shutdown logs, and how far back would my system have them if it's never been messed with?
          Journalctl has an extensive tool set for that.
          https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...e-systemd-logs
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X