X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
    Links to illustrate the issue?
    These pages have a bunch of auto loading videos down the right side of the page. I can block them now using ScriptBlock in Chrome:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/austral...in-minneapolis

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/america...ing-fawn-in-us

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...-simpsons-next
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
      These pages have a bunch of auto loading videos down the right side of the page. I can block them now using ScriptBlock in Chrome:

Thanks! I'm surprised that AdBlock Plus doesn't block them in Google Chrome.

Anyway, I can by using uBlock Origin in advanced user mode. I too don't appreciate expending resources on stuff I don't want to see.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

You can stop autoplay videos in Firefox in about:config:
        * Open a new tab and type in the addressbar about:config
        * Type in the search bar media.autoplay.enabled
        * Doubleclick on the line with 'media.autoplay.enabled'. The 'true' in the last column should change to 'false'.
        * That's all. Just close the tab and autoplaying is disabled.
        There's one possible problem. It's possible in html to hide the controls of a video. Really stupid to do, but some sites do that. In that (rare) cases you can try to right click on the video to open the contextual menu and choose Play (or whatever it's called in that strange language English...).

NoScript is probably gonna work, because it doesn't change the interface of Firefox. It changes only the code of the site. The developer is one of the (probably very few) people who can live from this add-on, so he (she?) is probably motivated too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
          One of the first add-on's I install in any browser is Adblock Plus. It seems to be blocking just as many ads here in Chrome as it does in Firefox, as far as I can tell.

One annoyance I have is web pages that have embedded postage stamp sized videos that play automatically (and use up too much of my limited bandwidth). I have not had any luck in disabling them in either Firefox or Chrome via Adblock Plus.
          I dumped Adblock plus, as well as the element hiding module because it was bogging down Firefox.
          I use uBlock Origin. It has all the abilities of Adblock, Element hiding, and it uses Adblock's filter lists, like Easy List. It's way more powerful and it offers a lot more control. I have used it for almost a year now and I love it.
          If you become an advanced user, you can easily block specific scripts, or annoying elements on a page that have nothing to do with ads. It's like having a big eraser on your computer. They have a reddit group as well that you can participate in. https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/
          Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Does Chrome still block downloading of YT videos?
            who cares ,,,,,,,,copy the URL and give it to "youtube-dl" on the command line ,,,,,done.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vivaldi ?

Vivaldi ?
              Going to their site I see they offer a few flavours of downloads.
              Vivaldi 1.10 32bit DEB
              Vivaldi 1.10 32bit RPM

Which is easier to install on 16.04?
              How?

Couldn't find it At Ubuntu Software Center or Synaptic Package Manager.

Not sure if the 64bit version will work on my computer
              Vivaldi 1.10 64bit DEB
              Vivaldi 1.10 64bit RPM
              Greg
              W9WD

Comment

Vivaldi isn't in the repos. You need to get the appropriate deb from https://vivaldi.com/download/?lang=en and then use gdebi (or alternative means) to install it. AFAIK, it doesn't autoupdate for Linux. So each time there's an update, you'll need to download the new deb.

See https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/1245...update-vivaldi for how to update: nothing special, it should update like any other software installed via apt-get.

The RPM version is not for Debian-based distros.
                Code:
                uname -m
                will tell you if your OS is 64-bit or not. If it is, you'll see
                Code:
                x86_64
                as the response.

There's no reason not to install the 64-bit version if your OS is 64-bit and you have at least 4GB RAM.

I used Vivaldi for a few months recently but then moved back to Google Chrome.
                Last edited by chimak111; Jul 22, 2017, 07:52 AM. Reason: Cancelled incorrect statement
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

The response was...
                  i686
                  I only have 2 gig
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                    The response was...
                    i686
                    I only have 2 gig
                    Then your OS is 32-bit and you need to go for the 32-bit deb. IMO, you should use a lighter browser than Vivaldi. Qupzilla may do.
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                    X