This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best performance tweaks?

For the following system what performance tweaks would people recommend?
    it's fast already, but always trying to wring more out of it

MSI 990FXA motherboard
    amd FX-8370 8-core cpu
    32 Gb ram
    500 Gb Patriot Blast SSD
    2x3Tb hdd
    1x4Tb hdd
    bluray read/writer
    Packaged in a nice zalman case with self-regulating fans
    Azio backlit keyboard
    Corsair gaming mouse

All mated to a 50inch HDTV
    Internet speed is roughly 225 Mbps

My own tweaks? Not sure I'd recommend for everyone but I disable baloo (file indexer) and since I use no KDE PIM applications akonadi (contacts database) is also disabled.

My 64-bit installation with conky, yakuake and a little bit of eye candy uses about 425MB of RAM at idle.

But - unused resources are wasted resources. I wouldn't worry so much as the RAM you save is just gonna be turned into disk buffers anyway; I'm into saving processor cycles, not memory. As with any other computer disable what you don't use and think hard about what runs at startup - and if you really need to run it at startup uptime says it takes about three seconds more to start KDE than it does to start openbox on my machine - and for me that's a more than acceptable price to pay.

Hope this helps -
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Move /tmp to tmpfs.
      Reduce swappiness.
      Reduce vfs_cache_pressure to 50 (debatable).
      Set all file systems to noatime or at least relatime.
      Disable unneeded TTYs.

Network changes:
      Disable ipv6 if you're not using it.
      Tune ipv4 for performance.

Here's some others: https://easyengine.io/tutorials/linux/sysctl-conf/
      Last edited by oshunluvr; May 01, 2017, 10:28 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Move /tmp to tmpfs.
        Reduce swappiness.
        Reduce vfs_cache_pressure to 50 (debatable).
        Set all file systems to noatime or at least relatime.
        Disable unneeded TTYs.

Network changes:
        Disable ipv6 if you're not using it.
        Tune ipv4 for performance.

Here's some others: https://easyengine.io/tutorials/linux/sysctl-conf/
        /etc/securetty shows 63 TTYs and a whole host of others tied to various serial cards. Should I just disable TTYs 3-63? I'll only ever use one or two

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
          My own tweaks? Not sure I'd recommend for everyone but I disable baloo (file indexer) and since I use no KDE PIM applications akonadi (contacts database) is also disabled.

My 64-bit installation with conky, yakuake and a little bit of eye candy uses about 425MB of RAM at idle.

But - unused resources are wasted resources. I wouldn't worry so much as the RAM you save is just gonna be turned into disk buffers anyway; I'm into saving processor cycles, not memory. As with any other computer disable what you don't use and think hard about what runs at startup - and if you really need to run it at startup uptime says it takes about three seconds more to start KDE than it does to start openbox on my machine - and for me that's a more than acceptable price to pay.

Hope this helps -
          Mine is sitting at 10.3Gb but I have 8G in a ramdrive, playing music on firefox and running win7 in virtualbox with 8Gb ram

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
            Mine is sitting at 10.3Gb but I have 8G in a ramdrive, playing music on firefox and running win7 in virtualbox with 8Gb ram
            If your RAM usage exceeds installed RAM that thing's gotta be swapping to disk like crazy.

A ramdrive isn't gonna help you much if the rest of the system is swapping to disk; the trick here is to not use more resources than you have available. No amount of tweaking is gonna help much if you're using a couple GB more RAM than you have installed
            -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
              /etc/securetty shows 63 TTYs and a whole host of others tied to various serial cards. Should I just disable TTYs 3-63? I'll only ever use one or two
              Actually, I realize that with systemd TTYs are handled differently. They're started on demand now, so you can disregard that suggestion.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                If your RAM usage exceeds installed RAM that thing's gotta be swapping to disk like crazy.

A ramdrive isn't gonna help you much if the rest of the system is swapping to disk; the trick here is to not use more resources than you have available. No amount of tweaking is gonna help much if you're using a couple GB more RAM than you have installed
                MSI 990FXA motherboard
                amd FX-8370 8-core cpu
                32 Gb ram
                500 Gb Patriot Blast SSD
                2x3Tb hdd
                1x4Tb hdd
                I doubt the ram drive is slowing down the system

Please Read Me

Comment

Seriously, the areas to look at are the bottlenecks: network speed tuning and file system performance are likely going to be the places you'll see the largest improvements. Video driver tuning might do a bit also, but mostly you're constrained by hardware when it comes to CPU and Video performance.

Please Read Me

Comment

You could also install phoronix-test-suite and then compare your results at openbenchmarking.org and Phoronix.com.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      I doubt the ram drive is slowing down the system
                      Oops. Apparently reading comprehension is not my strong suit today
                      Last edited by wizard10000; May 01, 2017, 12:22 PM. Reason: used different words :)
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Unless this was mentiond before there is value in disabling systemd services which are not needed. I disable bluetooth, avahi, modem.

This is an awesome tutorial

https://www.linux.com/learn/cleaning...tartup-process

Comment

I would also look at disabling systemd services that are not needed. For example I disable bluetooth, Avahi and modem services

Comment

Working...
                          X