This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] nomnom and url

I have recently installed nonnom and tried to test it by dragging a url to the nonnom window. When I dragged the link, it simply reverted back to the browser.

Advice please.
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

where did you get "nomnom" ,,,,,,,,,, what are you wanting it for ? I may know of something that will do the job better .

O heck ,,,,,your going to make me install it so I can test it for you ,,,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

nomnom is in the muon package manager.

It allows users to download videos.

Don't install it. My question was meant for someone who is already using the programme and knows the answer.

Don't do any work.

Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
        nomnom is in the muon package manager.

It allows users to download videos.

Don't install it. My question was meant for someone who is already using the programme and knows the answer.

Don't do any work.

Best wishes.
        if you just want something to DL videos from youtube and youtube type places ,,,,their is "video download helper" a fire fox add-on or even "youtube-dl" on the command line .

the media player QMplay2 will search and play or download youtube .

BUT since you say "Don't do any work" I'm installing it now ,,,,,be back with what I see

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

installed it ,,,tried it ,,,,,,dident work .

did not find a quick easy way to get it to work so I removed --purged it .

I did see when it first started up for the first time only ,,,,,a list of packages it needed and 1 was missing but I did not rite it down to apt search for it and really I just do not care ,,,I have so many ways to do this now .

which is usually to just throw the URL after youtub-dl
          Code:
          youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMivT7MJ41M
          it downloads to the current working directory.

youtube-dl is heavily maintained and releases updates within a day of youtube changing the way they feed stuff to us . to update it
          Code:
          youtube-dl -U
          VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Thank you.

Glad to know that it was not just me.

I have also purged the programme.

I assumed that all packages within the muon package manager have been tested? - seems not.

I will look at your suggested alternatives.

All the best

UPDATE:

I installed youtube-dl from the package manager, tried to update it and received a message that I had used a package manager.

Hence, I uninstalled it and re-installed the programme from the command line, but I still received this message!
            Last edited by anonprivate; Apr 25, 2017, 07:34 AM.

Comment

There are many packages in the "universe" section of the repos that are automatically imported from Debian's repos and are not really checked or modified or tested to work in *buntu. Most do work and quite a few have volunteer maintainers or fixers.

Nomnom is really old and seems to be missing a key but also old tool that is used to download videos (and likely does not work anymore). Problem is that no One has reported any issues with it so this breakage is not noticed.

A good way to tell which packages are actually made and maintained by Ubuntu itself is to look for a blue Kubuntu icon next to them in Muon package manager.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you.

>>>>
                UPDATE:

I installed youtube-dl from the package manager, tried to update it and received a message that I had used a package manager.

Hence, I uninstalled it and re-installed the programme from the command line, but I still received this message!
                Use SUDO first.
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$ sudo youtube-dl -U
                  [sudo] password for andrew:
                  It looks like you installed youtube-dl with a package manager, pip, setup.py or a tarball. Please use that to update.
                  andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$

Comment

andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$ sudo youtube-dl -U
                    [sudo] password for andrew:
                    It looks like you installed youtube-dl with a package manager, pip, setup.py or a tarball. Please use that to update.
                    andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$
                    yes ,,,you must have the ver from youtub-dl to use that comand ,,,,,,my bad .

IF your useing the one in the repo it will get updated as their are updates for it wile you do your usual updates.

BUT it is slower to get updated as their are changes on the youtube.come end .

you can get the freshest one @hear https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html

use the wget method .

+ just for the FYI of it ,,,,one of my favorat media players (QMplay2) will do all this as well including searching and displaying search results and playing right in the player.

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Hello,

I have removed the muon installed version of youtube-dl, and installed the programme from github, as you suggested.

I now have the latest version.

Couple of points. I could not find the programme in any of the dropdown menus. I assume that this is because youtube-dl is a command line only utility.

According to muon package manager, download-dl is not installed. I believe what muon is telling me is that the muon version is not installed.

The one drawback appears to be no access to an online manual, man youtube-dl does not work. This surprised me. How do you access the manual?

Overall a success.

Best wishes.

Ps I use vlc for playing videos.
                      PPs. Your desktop is attractive, unlike mine.

Comment

the options list ,,,,or manual

https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/bl...ADME.md#readme

it was under the "Documentation" section.

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                        X