This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows won't resize - you wouldn't believe the solution

I have been having issues with a Kubuntu 14.04 install on a Dell M6600 Precision laptop. It has worked well for years, but recently the windows won't resize. I can grab a window border and pull it out, but it will either go so far and then the pointer 'loses' its grip, or it won't move at all. All my other machines running the same install work fine. The only difference on the Dell is the use of the nVidia driver. I played with that for a while, and couldn't find a resolution there either. Finally, after doing a fresh install and using the Nouveau driver, and getting the same issues, I tried one last variable.

The problem? The mouse! The Logitech Anywhere MX that I have had for years has gone flaky. New batteries did not resolve the issue either. Putting the defective mouse on another good machine caused the same window sizing problems.

Odd that it would work, and the mouse pointer itself was stable. Just couldn't select things well.

So, you can add that to your bag of troubleshooting tricks.

Frank.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 06, 2016, 04:04 PM.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Putting the defective mouse on another good machine caused the same window sizing problems ...
    Odd that it would work, and the mouse pointer itself was stable. Just couldn't select things well ...
    So, you can add that to your bag of troubleshooting tricks ...
    I believe it!

I have a mouse now that should be retired. Unpredictable. Sometimes it gives a double-click action instead of my intended single-click effort. Or, right-click, then left click on, say, "Open in new tab": sometimes the left click isn't necessary! It "shorts-out" and does the left click, or something like that. At times, a left click doesn't register, and so it takes a couple left clicks to get some action. But this mouse is not dead, not at all, it works, and sometimes works with great precision and speed. Very strange, huh? It's just a $10, generic, manual Logitech, NBD to replace it, but I haven't done so yet.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I had a similar problem with a wireless mouse. It worked great for general use, but when I used it in JOSM (Java editor for OpenStreetMap) it was very slow to react in certain conditions (fast single clicks being translated into a double click and even a continuous click which drags things) and made life extremely difficult for me whilst mapping. In the end I got so fed up I connected a USB mouse and have no problems ever since.

Comment

It must be a plague! My mouse is acting up as well!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

i've already fixed the buttons on my mouse 3 or 4 times.. Its starting to act up again i guess it time to replace it i've had it for almost 10 years so it might be time.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hey guys: My $90 fancy Logitech mouse lasted less than a year before it started having button issues - apparently caused by internal static build up. For a few months, pulling the batteries (that only lasted a few months anyway) and leaving them out for a couple hours let it work again for a week or so.

Fast forward to today: I own two of these $8 units and I've never been more satisfied with a mouse. I get a year out of one AAA instead of a few months out of 2xAAs and all other functions are great. It saves battery life by going to sleep after a few minutes and a single click wakes it up. I love them. You can even get different colors.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X