This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a good idea?

A mate and I are going to obtain some old PC's, which in the Windows world are considered useless, and polish them up, install X/K/Ubuntu on them, (or Puppy Linux (the best small distro I've tried) if it's a real oldy) and try to demonstrate to people in our small town (and surrounding areas) that there is life after Bill.

We think that there are lots of people who would like a computer that only performs the basic things (web, mail, word processer, etc) but can't afford the latest "you beauty" idea from MS. We were thinking of only charging about $A200-250 for a fully working machine with a little bit of after sales service. Is this a good idea, do you think? Or do you reckon we'll run into strife?

Cheers (and Crikey)

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Re: Is this a good idea?

It depends how old are those computers. To run Kubuntu smoothly, 512 MB of RAM is strongly recommended, the same amount for Ubuntu. For Xubuntu, 256 MB could be enough.

Comment

Re: Is this a good idea?

That might be a good idea, and you could always give it the VISTA look, so that people who are used to and would prefer Windows won't feel so... out of it.

I'd love to do something like that with my time, but I'm too thick to fix my own pc never mind someone else's rofl
      I don&#39;t have a brain, I have a nucleus, basic functions are a doddle, yet ask me a question and I&#39;m dead.<br /><br />Tamed Nature

Comment

Working...
      X