This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem in Konsole

I have decided to give kubuntu a rest for a while, I'm sorry, but I simply cannot do this anymore on a daily basis.

It seems that every time I try to edit any root files even if it's NOT in error then the dcop or klauncher stops communicating, I just can't deal with it any more.

If you knew my history with pc's you would understand why I'm giving up.
    I don&#39;t have a brain, I have a nucleus, basic functions are a doddle, yet ask me a question and I&#39;m dead.<br /><br />Tamed Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Carol76
      I have decided to give kubuntu a rest for a while, I'm sorry, but I simply cannot do this anymore on a daily basis.
      Well I can't blame you, though it would've been nice to find out what it is on your machine that causes it :P

I've been trying to mess with my dcopserver/klauncher, but I haven't been able to reproduce it no matter how I've tried to cripple it (except using automatix, I stay clear of that one )

Did you update to the latest kde 3.5.4 (you don't have to try it if you've already given up), it's a long shot but perhaps the issue might have been fixed since I can't reproduce it.

Comment

if kde 3.5.4 is the "new new" one then no I didn't upgrade to it.

I might give it another go when Edgy is released, but at the moment I've had enough of all the messing around.

incidentally all the folders on my home owned by root WASN'T by choice, it was because when I first installed Ubuntu after leaving Windows behind, they were on my 200Gig drive when it was created as the home directory but not formatted (obviously) so that might be why they were "created" as root, because they were already insitu when I installed they were not created by me in ubuntu.

Maybe this was part of the problem, I do not know, all I do know is that for now, I don't have enough patience left to try it again.

Ever since I've known pc's I've known problems, I've been unlucky. I was ripped off with my first ever pc, we paid this bloke at a computer fair to "build us a pc" it was only HALF the spec he claimed it to be, AND the monitor was only 14" even though the spec said 15", it was a Hi-res one, so that's how he claimed to get away with it. He didn't provide us with the Windows disks or anything (windows 98 was installed) so when it crashed I had to pay someone else to fix it and the money to give me a licensed copy of Windows at the time.

Then after that the original people who built it did a runner because my pc, along with everyone else's that they built as customers at that same fair, were actually ex GEC machines that they had "taken to fix and never returned" the police were looking for them too.

My next pc was a replacement of the first heap of junk by a "friend" who actually swapped my 5gig harddrive for a 1gig without bothering to tell me! *sighs*

Then I had a Celeron which someone gave me, which happened to be as reliable as my ex-partner...

Then this one, that I built myself, kind of, my partner chose all the bits and we built it and set it up, it cost £370 including the printer (no monitor) and now, the only original things from build that are in it are the processor, one of the memory sticks and the sound card everything else has either had to be replaced because it's buggered, or was an optional upgrade. This doesn't seem too bad, but we've had no end of problems with it freezing ALL the time, then rebooting itself for no apparent reason (cpu core temp was FINE).. so it was new PSU, new harddrives, new mo bo etc, til we finally found it stopped doing it...

Then to have my pc stop letting me do anything I needed to do as "root" I just got really peeved rofl

So that's the history.

I will be back though, because I love the themeability of KDE and Kubuntu.

On the note of the actual problem, it concerned me most that no-one else seems to have said "ahhh yes, I frequently got that problem too until I did *******" you know? It was as if my problem was exclusive to me, and it was unique.. I'm good at having unique problems rofl

Right.. I'm off to collect my little rascal from school now, time to give him attention as my attention has been stolen 24/7 by my pc for the past week or so.
        I don&#39;t have a brain, I have a nucleus, basic functions are a doddle, yet ask me a question and I&#39;m dead.<br /><br />Tamed Nature

Comment

Quite a history you got there, I can understand why you're sceptical about computers

I'll still try to figure this one out 'as a hobby' (I know, I have too much free time :P)
          Good luck to you with your future computer affairs, and do try edgy out when it is released.

If I find a cause I'll post it here.

You're right, it doesn't seem to be a very common problem, but there's bound to be a solution hidden somewhere.

Incidentally, I managed to completely ignore/forget that 'ls' needs the -L option to follow symlinks, so my conclusions about the dcop -link being bad were hasty at best.
          So 'ls -alL' would've probably shown there was nothing wrong with the link :P

Comment

I just stumbled on all this drama, and I'm sorry to say that I think I might have a solution.

As was mentioned, you've got a lot of files in /home that are owned by root, and that is pretty unusual. I found that I had a similar problem when I would remote into a machine with ssh -X and then run something like Konqueror as root, which is similiar to what you're saying you were doing.

If you still have Kubuntu installed, try this:
            Code:
            sudo chown yourusername:yourgroupname *.*
            Where yourusername and yourgroupname would, of course, be your own username and your own group name. My user and group names are both jim, so in my case the line would read:
            Code:
            sudo chown jim:jim *.*
            I'm really curious to know the outcome on this, so please keep us posted.

jim

:: antoher ubuntu blog :: get linux&nbsp; &nbsp; ::&nbsp; &nbsp; ubuntu documentation project ::

Comment

Working...
            X