This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] I got PUP Offers4U malware in Firefox in Kubuntu

Don't install the Firefox addin, SaveFrom.net helper. It bundles the PUP malware Offers4U. I went to do a search in Amazon for some things and I got popups from other sites supposedly selling the same product for better offers. Of course, I'm not about to click on or trust those offers. I had installed this plugin as a replacement for Video Download Helper which had quit working. I like being able to download from Youtube.

Googling "Offers4U helper" wasn't helping because all the instructions were for either for Windows or Mac. The Windows instructions said to run Malwarebytes, which, of course, won't run under Linux. Finally, after adding "Ubuntu" to the search term I found a single page that identified SaveFrom.net helper as the culprit. Fortunately, a simple uninstall got rid of it. It's not like in Windows where you go to uninstall a PUP and it finds crafty ways to hang around unless you zap it with a deep level antivirus scan.

I'm marking this as solved because the uninstall zapped that slimy and obnoxious Offers4U. I wanted to post about it to warn others. If it hadn't been for that one site identifying SaveFrom.net helper as the culprit, I still would not have figured this out. I was suspecting a wallpaper site that I recently visited. I could have restored from a Clonezilla ghost image I have, but that's like killing a spider with an axe.

Be careful what addins you install. You can still get PUP malware even in Linux.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Thanks for the heads up!

I use a video downloader in FF because Chrome doesn't allow it (if you know of a Chromium add-in that does let me know). "They" say that what gets uploaded to the web stays on the web. That is no longer true. The UoC at Berkeley paid some hackers $115,000 to seek out and destroy video copies on the web of campus police pepper spraying student protesters.

Corporations AND NGO's of all kinds are illegally issuing DMCA takedown demands to remove material that is not favorable to their agendas. The Internet Archive (a.k.a. The WayBack Machine) has been swamped for years and has long since ceased backing up any portion of the web. It seems that the first amendment isn't very popular these days.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Thanks for the heads up!

I use a video downloader in FF because Chrome doesn't allow it (if you know of a Chromium add-in that does let me know). "They" say that what gets uploaded to the web stays on the web. That is no longer true. The UoC at Berkeley paid some hackers $115,000 to seek out and destroy video copies on the web of campus police pepper spraying student protesters.

Corporations AND NGO's of all kinds are illegally issuing DMCA takedown demands to remove material that is not favorable to their agendas. The Internet Archive (a.k.a. The WayBack Machine) has been swamped for years and has long since ceased backing up any portion of the web. It seems that the first amendment isn't very popular these days.
      Video Download Helper has started working again in FF, so I'm using that now. I've never used it in Chrome, but a quick search has shown me that there is a Chrome version.

I heard about that incident at Berkeley and am disgusted with them for trying to destroy evidence.

Comment

mmm... My experience is the opposite. The only YT video downloader I found didn't work and I keep FF around only to DL an occasional video.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

mmm... My experience is the opposite. The only YT video downloader I found didn't work and I keep FF around only to DL an occasional video.
          It might be worth another try. I quit using Video Download Helper because it quit working in Firefox. However, when I re-enabled it after getting rid of the spyware/junkware app, VDH informed me that it was a new version. I tested it and it worked. So maybe the Chrome one works as well now.

Comment

you do not need any browser ,,,,you can use "youtube-dl" in a konsole

just feed it the URL of the video .

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              you do not need any browser ,,,,you can use "youtube-dl" in a konsole

just feed it the URL of the video .

VINNY
              Didn't know that, VINNY! Thanks!
              (Had to install it. I saw minitube in the repository but it didn't work. An Google API key was necessary.

Comment

Didn't know that, VINNY! Thanks!
                (Had to install it. I saw minitube in the repository but it didn't work. An Google API key was necessary.
                ya ,,,minitube keeps braking every so often ,,,as dose smtube , ,,,,,,,,,, @now the only app I have (other than a browser) that will do youtube playback/search in the app is QMPlay2 , and it dose it well and will download it if you wish .

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

i use VLC to play/download youtube videos..
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                    i use VLC to play/download youtube videos..
                    yes,,,,,,but can you browse/search youtube through VLC ?

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

no you browse via the web page. When it acts up during playback or i want to download the video then i open vlc.
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                        no you browse via the web page. When it acts up during playback or i want to download the video then i open vlc.
                        Aaaa ,,,,that is why I like QMPlay2 ,,,,,I can search and play youtube rite in the app

no browser needed ,,,,,,, + the playlist will have it all ,,,,,,,local media ,,, youtube media ,,,, internet radio media ,,,

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

I have used Video DownloadHelper for over 10 years and it works great on everything except content played in Flowplayer. There was a time when VDH was waiting to be fixed on YouTube so I tested a few others out. One that I still use for YouTube only is called "YouTube Video and Audio Downloader" by InBasic. This is one of the best, and I still use it over VDH for YouTube. I have not, however been able to get the 1080p function to work properly. I've used this for about 2 years now. I wish he would expand this to other sites.
                          Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            Aaaa ,,,,that is why I like QMPlay2 ,,,,,I can search and play youtube rite in the app

no browser needed ,,,,,,, + the playlist will have it all ,,,,,,,local media ,,, youtube media ,,,, internet radio media ,,,

VINNY
                            That looks pretty cool. I found a site that purports to have the info on how to install this thing via a ppa. I tried it, but the ppa would not install. That site is here:
                            http://ubuntuguide.net/install-qmpla...n-ubuntu-linux

Is there a ppa elsewhere or a Debian package that you trust?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
                              That looks pretty cool. I found a site that purports to have the info on how to install this thing via a ppa. I tried it, but the ppa would not install. That site is here:
                              http://ubuntuguide.net/install-qmpla...n-ubuntu-linux

Is there a ppa elsewhere or a Debian package that you trust?
                              ya ,,,,that PPA is dead ,,,,,, and I do not know where a .deb may be found .

you would half to build it ........... https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post385829

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X