Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 14.04 LTS running on a 15.04 kernel -- How?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 14.04 LTS running on a 15.04 kernel -- How?

My father has a Kubuntu 14.04 LTS system that has, from my point of view, some anomalies I don't understand.

Primarily, KInfoCenter reports that he is running kernel version 3.19.0-58-generic. This is a kernel version for *buntu 15.04. He has his sources data set to only look for LTS releases, and, he doesn't want to move off of 14.04 LTS. The rest of the System Information reported by KInfoCenter is for Kubuntu 14.04. I've verified that with my 14.04, fully dist-upgraded, here, on one of my VMs.

How would a 15.04 kernel get installed 'normally'; without user intervention to do so; on a 14.04 system?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

my 14.04 system has
    vmlinuz-3.19.0-56-generic
    but I have not updated it recently ,,,so it could be up to 58 by now no prob

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny -

Would you check in Software Sources what you have Release upgrade set to?

Comment

ya ,,OK let me reboot to it ,,,

I think it comes from having the LTS hardware enablement stack (or some such ) installed.

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          ya ,,OK let me reboot to it ,,,

I think it comes from having the LTS hardware enablement stack (or some such ) installed.

VINNY
          I was going to say that.
          14.04.x Ubuntu Kernel Support

Snohog, Is it possible the iso for your father's system was downloaded sometime after August 2015 and before February 2016?
          Last edited by life0riley; Apr 16, 2016, 07:33 PM. Reason: I can't type today!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Vinny -

Would you check in Software Sources what you have Release upgrade set to?
            "long term support releases only"

you prob have "linux-generic-lts-vivid" installed

I do ,,,,and will upgrade it to the linux-generic-lts-xenial hear in a min ,,,,,,,

Code:
            vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show linux-generic-lts-vivid
            Package: linux-generic-lts-vivid
            Priority: optional
            Section: kernel
            Installed-Size: 27.6 kB
            Maintainer: Ubuntu Kernel Team <kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com>                                                                                                     
            Source: linux-meta-lts-vivid                                                                                                                                      
            Version: 3.19.0.58.41                                                                                                                                             
            [COLOR=#ff0000]Depends: linux-image-generic-lts-vivid (= 3.19.0.58.41), linux-headers-generic-lts-vivid (= 3.19.0.58.41)   [/COLOR]                                                      
            Download-Size: 1,806 B                                                                                                                                            
            Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug                                                                                                                  
            Origin: Ubuntu                                                                                                                                                    
            Supported: 9m                                                                                                                                                     
            APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64 Packages
            Description: Complete Generic Linux kernel and headers
             This package will always depend on the latest complete generic Linux kernel
             and headers.

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Ok, so, as you would guess, on my K14.04, I'm running 3.13.0-85. Why would one want to run 14.04 on 3.19? Any problems doing that? Benefits? Am I reading this thread correctly -- is that what you are doing?
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

K now my 14.04 is running the xenial kernel

Code:
                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ lsb_release -a 
                Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
                Release:        14.04
                Codename:       trusty
                Code:
                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ uname -a
                Linux vinny-Bonobo-Extreme 4.4.0-18-generic #34~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 7 18:31:54 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  Ok, so, as you would guess, on my K14.04, I'm running 3.13.0-85. Why would one want to run 14.04 on 3.19? Any problems doing that? Benefits? Am I reading this thread correctly -- is that what you are doing?
                  their are meta packages to let you keep up with the latest kernels

Code:
                  linux-generic-lts-quantal/trusty-updates,trusty-security 3.13.0.85.91 amd64
                    Generic Linux kernel image and headers

linux-generic-lts-quantal-eol-upgrade/trusty-updates,trusty-security 3.13.0.85.91 amd64
                    Complete Generic Linux kernel and headers

linux-generic-lts-raring/trusty-updates,trusty-security 3.13.0.85.91 amd64

linux-generic-lts-raring-eol-upgrade/trusty-updates,trusty-security 3.13.0.85.91 amd64

linux-generic-lts-saucy/trusty-updates,trusty-security 3.13.0.85.91 amd64

linux-generic-lts-saucy-eol-upgrade/trusty-updates,trusty-security 3.13.0.85.91 amd64

linux-generic-lts-trusty/trusty-updates,trusty-security 3.13.0.85.91 amd64

linux-generic-lts-utopic/trusty-updates,trusty-security 3.16.0.70.61 amd64

linux-generic-lts-vivid/trusty-updates,trusty-security 3.19.0.58.41 amd64 [upgradable from: 3.19.0.56.40]

linux-generic-lts-wily/trusty-updates,trusty-security 4.2.0.35.28 amd64

linux-generic-lts-xenial/trusty-updates,trusty-security,now 4.4.0.18.10 amd64 [installed]
                  VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

All LTS releases past the original and second point releases has this "turned on" by default.

Comment

claydoh@

Ah, okay, that explains why I'm running the 4.2.0-* kernel on my 14.04 installation. But my father's kernel version indicates it came with 14.04.3, and that should mean that the LTS Enablement Stack is installed. So why is his kernel version not at 4.2.0-* like mine is?
                      Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 16, 2016, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        Ah, okay, that explains why I'm running the 4.2.0-* kernel on my 14.04 installation. But my father's kernel version indicates it came with 14.04.3, and that should mean that the LTS Enablement Stack is installed. So why is his kernel version not at 4.2.0-* like mine is?
                        AFAIK, LTS point releases ship the latest HWE but updating to the newest HWE from an original 14.04 install aren't automatic, you have to install the latest HWE meta-package from the next release. For example:

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-utopic

You should probably upgrade X and your graphics drivers too. @here, my fully updated (but not having done the above) 14.04 server shows:
                        Code:
                        smith@server:~$ apt-cache policy linux-image-`uname -r`
                        linux-image-3.19.0-58-generic:
                          Installed: 3.19.0-58.64~14.04.1
                          Candidate: 3.19.0-58.64~14.04.1
                          Version table:
                         *** 3.19.0-58.64~14.04.1 0
                                500 http://mirrors.advancedhosters.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64 Packages
                                500 http://mirrors.advancedhosters.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main amd64 Packages
                                100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                        and
                        Code:
                        smith@server:~$ lsb_release -a
                        No LSB modules are available.
                        Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                        Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
                        Release:        14.04
                        Codename:       trusty

You can do it to Dad's install, but you have to do it manually.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks oshunluvr for the explanation.

My Dad wants/needs/insists on a STABLE 14.04 system. He doesn't want to upgrade system versions. Which of the point releases is (subjectively) *the best*?

Comment

IMHO, if it ain't broke...

More to the point; unless he's missing some functionality or having some other issue that would be resolved by upgrading the HWE, I wouldn't do it. My server is happily chugging along without it. Of course, I have very little direct interaction with my server.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                            X