X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setup a syslog server to capture traces from a number of voice routers

Hi,

I work in telecom, and want to setup a syslog server to capture traces (sip, isdn, events) from a bunch of voice routers.
    The routers can send tracing information to a centralised syslog server.

As I am totally new to syslog, I have no idea where to begin, and if it is possible to do what I want.

Requirements:
    - when there is some problem, I remotely log into a router via ssh, and activate sending of traces to a syslog server
    for example: syslog-debug sip level 3 192.168.1.125 will send detailed sip traces to a syslog server with IP@ 192.168.1.125
    - The syslog server needs to capture this information and store it in files, a separate file per router
    the filename would preferably be the hostname of the router.

Is it possible to store syslog info from each router in a separate file ?
    What syslog server application is suited for this and how do I configure this syslog server ? (link to manual)

The way I capture traces at this moment is to use putty to ssh log in to the router,
    issue the command debug sip level 3,
    leave the putty session open, so that everything is stored into the putty logfile.
    This is not practical when I need to trace over a longer period, because the ssh session breaks sometimes,
    --> so I regularly need to check if the ssh session is still up or not.

Having the router push its traces into a syslog server would be much more convienient.
    Connection is over an internal network --> no need to have an encrypted ssh tunnel between router and logging server.
    Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
    linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
    A good place to start:
    Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Working...
X