Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

use KeepassX 2 on my Kubuntu box and then use Keepass2Android on my Samsung Galaxy S5

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] use KeepassX 2 on my Kubuntu box and then use Keepass2Android on my Samsung Galaxy S5

I want to use KeepassX 2 on my Kubuntu box and then use Keepass2Android on my Samsung s5 phone.

Would someone who knows how to work with these two programs tell me how to sync their databases?
    I can not see or understand how to sync/import the two databases?!

I do not want to use a cloud service, I want to be in total control of databases. And I have run
    Keepass on my Kubuntu box and I don't care for it at all. Thks

First time replying here (after using Kubuntu for 10+ years) so please be gentle!

KeepassX has indeed problems synchronizing with Keepass2 databases. That is why I am using Keepass2 binaries available from Julian Taylor's ppa. The synchronize file function between Keepass2Android and Keepass2 works fine with those two.

However if you insist to try, make sure that you first move the file you have on Keepass2Android, straight to your Kubuntu and try to sync it with KeepassX's database and then reupload it to your Samsung s5 phone or vice versa.

Trying to sync directly a database from Keepass2Androind on your S5 with a Keepass X database on Ubuntu's disk, might prove troublesome...

It is quite a bit of hassle if you do not use a cloud, so that you do not have to move any files around...

Comment

Originally posted by aektzis View Post
      First time replying here (after using Kubuntu for 10+ years) so please be gentle!

KeepassX has indeed problems synchronizing with Keepass2 databases. That is why I am using Keepass2 binaries available from Julian Taylor's ppa. The synchronize file function between Keepass2Android and Keepass2 works fine with those two.

However if you insist to try, make sure that you first move the file you have on Keepass2Android, straight to your Kubuntu and try to sync it with KeepassX's database and then reupload it to your Samsung s5 phone or vice versa.

Trying to sync directly a database from Keepass2Androind on your S5 with a Keepass X database on Ubuntu's disk, might prove troublesome...

It is quite a bit of hassle if you do not use a cloud, so that you do not have to move any files around...
      aektzis Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

Please let me tell it back to you what I understand that you are saying in order to
      make KeepassX and Keepass2Android's databases work!

For simplisity sake I'm going to use "KpX" for KeepassX and "K2A" for Keepass2Android.

First thing I don't know the difference between a binaries and any other file?
      But, I will be working on that so I will know the difference in the future.

I think your telling me I need to remove the program KpX on my pc and replace
      it with the binaries from Julian Taylor's ppa. No problem with that.

I'm Quoting you here for clarity:
      "However if you insist to try, make sure that you first move the file you have on
      Keepass2Android, straight to your Kubuntu and try to sync it with KeepassX's
      database and then reupload it to your Samsung s5 phone or vice versa."

This says to me, after I install the KpX binaries in Kubuntu, now move or copy the
      K2A database from my phone to the KpX folder where the database for KpX is stored.
      But, for safety sake move the database for KpX somewhere else first just encase
      something goes wrong I'll have my original KpX database, or better yet, backup
      the database.

After I get the K2A database from my phone moved to the KpX database folder
      then have KpX upload it.

I'm going to wait until I hear back from you before I do anything crazy wrong!

Comment

You got it right. Make sure you backup the original database file somewhere.
        I was not happy with KpX especially with its syncing that is why I moved to Keepass2.
        But that was a long time ago, more than 1 year, so... You never know. Good luck!

Edit: If you just COPY (not move) the database from phone->Kubuntu folder, and just sync that file with the KpX database file on Kubuntu. I still have my doubts about versions and if they are compatible.
        Make sure you backup BOTH files and double check the results on the KpX file after sync.

Comment

Working...
        X