This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a scanner that works under Kubuntu

I have an HP Scanjet G3010 that I haven't used in years. I cannot get it to work in either Kubuntu or Windows 7 to save my life. I've googled the crap out of this issue. I found a really old post from about '08 from someone who said it worked in Ubuntu out of the box, but had blurry edges. The suggestion was to run HPLIP and see if it's supported. Did that. Didn't work.

On the Windows 7 PC, I didn't have any luck either. I have a driver disk for Windows XP, but that doesn't work under 7. I googled for a Win 7 driver and found a supposed link for one, but it would not work. Page crashed. In fact, numerous pages crashed. Then, in a google, I found a suggestion to install something called HP Support Assistant, which I did. After I did that, the scanner would actually make its bootup sound when I pugged its usb cable to the PC, but would do no more than that. I ran the Support Assistant and asked it to find devices, but it would not find the scanner. I also ran this program named Driver Genius that normally is spot-on for finding any drivers needed in Windows and helping you to install them. Even that didn't work. I'm thinking this thing just isn't supported in LInux or Windows 7.

Enough is enough. I took some dynamite sticks out of some wooden crates labeled "ACME Corp" and attached them around the scanner in my back yard and ran some wire from them to a plunger thingie. Then I pushed that down and blew up that scanner to Kingdom Come, which made a bunch of rocks fly up into the air and fall down on top of me, burying me in a pile. Through a little crack I could see this funny little animal that said, "beep-beep" and then sped away.

So it looks like the HP G3010 isn't going to cooperate, but I have noticed you can get scanners dirt cheap at thrift stores. I just wonder if any of those would be any better. I just need to scan a bunch of old photos. I've wasted a ton of time trying to get this to work. I'm disappointed that this HP scanner isn't supported because their printers are usually supported so well in Linux. The @#$% thing isn't even supported in Windows 7. Scanners are cheap at thrift stores, but, of course, it won't help me if I pick up one that I can't make run. I would prefer one that runs in *buntu, but if I had to settle for using it in Windows 7, that's an option.

Edit: I got this thing working in Windows 7. I didn't really blow it up with dynamite. I wrote that paragraph as a way of expressing my frustration. Turns out the driver download page was just down for a while. I'm still interested in how to make this work in *buntu, if it's possible.
    Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Oct 24, 2015, 01:02 PM.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

I know it will be overload, but;

http://sane-project.org/lists/sane-mfgs-cvs.html

There are many that work, heck yours is supposed to be supported, back in 2008 or so.

I have an old canon LiDE 25 that works just fine, was dirt cheap when new, and fairly common. You'll probably have to find a scanner then search for info on other Ubuntu users' knowledge and experiences on it. There are just too many different models, and you can't go by manufacturer, as it is all about whatever chipset they used for each one. Look for canon lide series scanners, for example. There are many different ones, using a variety of chips, and a good number of then Unsupported.

Heck, I think I could part with my scanner, as my once thrift-store bound HP multi function printer has a working scanner, so I don't really need it.....

Comment

Most Epsons work under Linux and Epson offers the drivers + regularly updates them.

For transparency scanning I had a very nice HP but the light in the lid failed and it could not be replaced.
      Now I have an Epson V600 that works even better but to get most of it I also bought a VueScan licence.

Comment

I have an Epson Stylus SX235W (a printer-cum-scanner). Wifi attached, like my laptop. Works flawlessly with Kubuntu 14.04 and all other versions I've tried. No driver packages required, config required, the scanning apps (I use Simple Scan) just find it.
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
        X