This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new adventure

Or maybe a headache. Looking for info on modifying the kernel. If possible, i want to custom tailor it to run at max performance on my Phenom X6
    Will most likely install a new cooy of 14.04 or 15.04 (15.10?) and mess with it. Have another machine close I can bring up instructions on

Full stats for computer, if it matters
    ASUS M478 mb (essentio cm1730)
    AMD Phenom X6 proc
    16Gb ram
    drives:
    1 500Gb ssd
    1 1Tb hdd
    1 3Tb hdd
    1 250Gb Hdd
    Nvidia 6110Gt video card (old but usable)

Or can I just find a kernel tailored to the phenom?
    Last edited by vsreeser; Sep 28, 2015, 04:21 PM.

It will probably be both. Haven't compiled a kernel in close to 10 years. It isn't ridiculously hard, and there are plenty of tutorials on it. The hard part is determining what to try out, which will take research and old fashioned trial-and-error.

My thoughts are that you likely may not be able to notice any differences, but you won't know till you do it

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      It will probably be both. Haven't compiled a kernel in close to 10 years. It isn't ridiculously hard, and there are plenty of tutorials on it. The hard part is determining what to try out, which will take research and old fashioned trial-and-error.

My thoughts are that you likely may not be able to notice any differences, but you won't know till you do it

Sent from my LG G4
      Thinking it may not be worth the trouble. Spent an hour or so trying to install gentoo. ran into an error I couldn't get around and abandoned it. maybe I'll just see if someone else has done it

Comment

Working...
      X