This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bootable USB

Can't seem to get a bootable USB using unetbootin, live usbcreator, or any other tool I've tried. Reduced to writing dvds. Not hard, but uses my stash. Anyone know of a good program? Ideally, I'd like to put a few live cd/dvds on a 32Gb stick.

have you tryed "dd" ?

Code:
    dd if=path-to.iso of=path-to-usbstick
    this of course only dose 1 .iso

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
      Can't seem to get a bootable USB using unetbootin, live usbcreator, or any other tool I've tried. Reduced to writing dvds. Not hard, but uses my stash. Anyone know of a good program? Ideally, I'd like to put a few live cd/dvds on a 32Gb stick.
      For maybe a week unetbootin was failing me with a syslinux error. Today, with the same ISO, same thumb drive dd worked, but Ubiquity crashed: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/09/15...el.html#t13:46
      And neither unetbootin nor dd does multiple ISOs on a single thumb drive, alas.

Comment

Use dd, or try mkusb, which is a little gui for this. unetbootin and usb-creator seem to be unable to create working sticks these days.

Comment

Use dd.
          It works from 11.10 and after because Ubuntu switched to hybrid disk images.
          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post378712

Beware UNetbootin, issues have been reported,
          Use Edit > Find -- UNetbootin on this page to see the issues:
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
          People posting many issues, failures with it. It failed me the other day creating Boot Repair USB.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Some reports that UNetbootin not working on Debian UEFI systems.

dd:
            As usual, make sure the boot mode is "matched up."
            E.g., suppose your computer boots by UEFI mode.
            Then choose 64-bit versions of the programs you dd to a flash drive (or, otherwise, program version indicated for "newer" systems), and then boot that flash drive in UEFI mode (by entering your firmware setup and selecting to boot the UEFI version of that flash drive).
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              Some reports that UNetbootin not working on Debian UEFI systems.

dd:
              As usual, make sure the boot mode is "matched up."
              E.g., suppose your computer boots by UEFI mode.
              Then choose 64-bit versions of the programs you dd to a flash drive (or, otherwise, program version indicated for "newer" systems), and then boot that flash drive in UEFI mode (by entering your firmware setup and selecting to boot the UEFI version of that flash drive).
              Disabled UEFI on target system as i have no intention of using wi8 (makes my skin crawl) on it ever again. It came with 8 which I promptly wiped when i got it. Father in law found it in a pile of rubble at an abandoned house.. Will play around with suggestions. its not my main machine so can blow it up all I want

Comment

Found a Win8 box on a pile of rubble at an abandon house?
                Seems like an example of the cost of ignorance: equating Windows with a PC and thinking that since Win8 is worthless the PC must be as well, since they are "one and the same". Penguins know better.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Seems like an example of the cost of ignorance: equating Windows with a PC and thinking that since Win8 is worthless the PC must be as well, since they are "one and the same". Penguins know better.
                  sweet ,,,,,,,,

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I just put grub on a stick and then manually built a grub.cfg that would boot ISOs. Then I just copy the ISO to the stick and edit grub.cfg. Not all ISOs can boot this way but a lot can...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...boot_USB_drive

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr: I just put grub on a stick and then manually built a grub.cfg that would boot ISOs.
                      That's neat. As I recall, that's a capability of loopback devices, found with GRUB 2, one of the nice things that came out w/the (at that time) new GRUB2. Booting more than one on the same drive is the issue here, I would think. I need to look at the arch article sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        I think whoever left that house lost part of the cord to the power brick. Cost less than $5 at the store. I had one from an old laptop brick I used. Dog chew the rest of the thing up. Which is why we don't have that dog any more

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
                          Dog chew the rest of the thing up. Which is why we don't have that dog any more
                          An electrocuted dog

Comment

Working...
                          X