Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with HDD. Is it a Partitioning Problem?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code:
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Recovery/transformation command (? for help): c[/COLOR] 
    Warning!
    This will probably do weird things if you've converted an 
    MBR to GPT form and haven't yet saved the GPT! Proceed? (Y/N): n
    Ha! H*ll, it may do weird things anyway!

You did not convert any MBR to a GPT. It appears you already have a GPT -- or some strange hybrid (but I doubt that).

I mean, I've done tons of experiments like this, and I can tell you to expect anything. 98% of the time, it's smooth sailing. But that 2% can take your family photos (happened to me once, had to use PhotoRec to recover 90% of them).

gdisk isn't seeing it, or telling us -- Even if the main header or partition table is damaged, it should either tell us or see the backup copies of these at the end of the disk. But, ... well, it's a crap shoot, for sure. Personally, I would go ahead and do it if I felt I had nothing to lose anyway, do c first and see where that goes. But I'm a little nuts this way about teasing the Booting Devils. Fair warning.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Wait a second ...
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Partition table holds up to 128 entries
        Again, that kind of message indicates a GPT, a standard GPT. Now, after "v," it sees an unoccupied table?

t change a partition's type code
        ? ? ? what if it were messed up? causing gdisk to miss it as a GPT?

I don't know, exactly, what Windows has done here (Windows did this, you didn't create this partitioning). If you are not shy about it, you could ask Rod Smith if he recognizes this seeming paradox, doing so in a brief-est, summary way.

Or, continue to explore with gdisk, or try to "fix" it (fix what? )with gdisk -- c & b.

Comment

gdisk sees an empty disk, basically -- NO partitions, all space available ?

Comment

disregard this post
            Last edited by technomancer; Jul 24, 2015, 08:19 AM. Reason: posted before finishing

Comment

Is this a Dell?

One thing you can try is a google. I messed around a little, and issues do come up with "WINRETOOLS and PBR image."
              http://en.community.dell.com/support...677/t/19503174
              https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

I haven't studied this material.

Comment

Your Post #80 didn't show the code - output ...

Comment

...but there are more that it can recover:
                  ??

Comment

So, are you giving me the green light to
                    recover the partitions in TestDisk, use backup GPT header (rebuilding main, and then load backup partition table from disk (rebuilding main)
                    and then rewrite
                    Well, that's what this deal points at. The google (above) on how Dell/Windows set this up MAY be revealing, but I've only skimmed a couple links (and people do seem to have issues with this, to word it gently ...)

Comment

ok so disregard Post #80, I see. If you know you have missing partitions, then yes, TesdDisk seems to do very well at recovery, IME.
                      Last edited by Qqmike; Jul 24, 2015, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Yes, it is a Dell. I'll look into those. Also, here's what I meant to post in Post 80 (before I finished and put the code in.

Shall I continue with the recovery options? Shall I recover the partitions with TestDisk?
                        Did you SEE missing partitions on the TestDisk output, that you know of? If so, then, yes, recover those. I'll look at the output again, but you would be the one to know what is missing. Or, as TestDisk step-by-step says, a duplicate partition is also a clue; or overlapping partitions.
                        Testdisk says I have either ONE partition (Intel map):

Code:
                        Current partition structure:     Partition                  Start        End    Size in sectors

1 P EFI GPT                  0   0  2 60801  80 63  976773167

Bad relative sector.
                        No partition is bootable
                        ...but there are more that it can recover:

Code:
                        Disk /dev/sda - 500 GB / 465 GiB - CHS 7600 255 63
                             Partition               Start        End    Size in sectors
                        >  HPFS - NTFS             10 168 31    18 119 37     125440 [WINRETOOLS]
                           HPFS - NTFS             18 119 38  3911 136  1   62542080 [OS]
                           HPFS - NTFS           3911 136  2  3918 179 37     115200
                           Linux Swap            3918 179 38  4058 193 39    2249984
                           Linux                 4058 193 40  4525 156 47    7500032
                           Linux                 4525 156 48  7394  59 25   46084352
                           HPFS - NTFS           7394  59 26  7399 206 39      89600
                           HPFS - NTFS           7399 206 40  7600  41 57    3218688 [PBR Image
                        Or NO partitions (EFI GPT map):

Code:
                        Disk /dev/sda - 500 GB / 465 GiB - CHS 7600 255 63Current partition structure:
                             Partition                  Start        End    Size in sectors

Bad GPT partition, invalid signature.
                        Trying alternate GPT
                        Bad GPT partition, invalid signature.
                        With several to recover:

Code:
                        Disk /dev/sda - 500 GB / 465 GiB - CHS 7600 255 63     Partition               Start        End    Size in sectors
                        >P MS Data                   171264     296703     125440 [WINRETOOLS]
                         P MS Data                   296704   62838783   62542080 [OS]
                         P MS Data                 62838784   62953983     115200
                         P Linux Swap              62953984   65203965    2249982
                         P MS Data                 65203968   72703999    7500032
                         P MS Data                 72704000  118788351   46084352
                         P MS Data                118788352  118877951      89600
                         P MS Data                118877952  122096389    3218438 [PBR Image]
                        While Gdisk says there are no partitions:

Code:
                        Command (? for help): ?       
                        b       back up GPT data to a file
                        c       change a partition's name
                        d       delete a partition
                        [COLOR=#FF0000]i       show detailed information on a partition[/COLOR]
                        l       list known partition types
                        n       add a new partition
                        o       create a new empty GUID partition table (GPT)
                        [COLOR=#FF0000]p       print the partition table[/COLOR]
                        q       quit without saving changes
                        r       recovery and transformation options (experts only)
                        s       sort partitions
                        t       change a partition's type code
                        v       verify disk
                        w       write table to disk and exit
                        x       extra functionality (experts only)
                        ?       print this menu

Command (? for help): [COLOR=#FF0000]p[/COLOR]
                        Disk /dev/sda: 122096646 sectors, 465.8 GiB
                        Logical sector size: 4096 bytes
                        Disk identifier (GUID): CE95A19B-F0FF-44B8-85B7-1C8472A1AC87
                        Partition table holds up to 128 entries
                        First usable sector is 6, last usable sector is 122096640
                        Partitions will be aligned on 256-sector boundaries
                        Total free space is 122096635 sectors (465.8 GiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name

Command (? for help):[COLOR=#FF0000] i       [/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=#FF0000]No partitions[/COLOR]
                        So, is it a good idea to:
                        recover the partitions in TestDisk,
                        use option Gdisk recovery option b to backup GPT header (rebuilding main, and
                        then use gdisk recovery option c to load backup partition table from disk (rebuilding main)?
                        So, shall I recover the partitions using the Intel map, or the EFI GPT map?

And, should they all be primary partitions?

Comment

Ignore this post.
                          Last edited by Qqmike; Jul 24, 2015, 08:50 AM.

Comment

see my edits to Post 87 ...

Comment

Change it to this: Use the EFI GPT map showing that list of partitions to recover you posted above.
                              All primary partitions.

This can only be a guess, a crap-shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                                Is this a Dell?

One thing you can try is a google. I messed around a little, and issues do come up with "WINRETOOLS and PBR image."
                                http://en.community.dell.com/support...677/t/19503174
                                https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

I haven't studied this material.
                                I followed the directions in the first link. Windows DiskPart says my hardrive is:

"Online, is 465 GB in size, has 465 GB free, and is neither Dynamic nor GPT"

Comment

Working...
                                X