This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying errors

When I start up Kubuntu, i get an error report after logging in. Where can I find more information on the error? I hope to be able to track down the problems, research, and fix them if I can get more info

What is the error reporting?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It says says system error and asks if I want to report it. Info under details in that is cryptic. it said something about edgers, then vanished before I could write it down. I could uninstall it if i could find it. dpkg -l gave me a list, quite long. not good with grep. How would IO grep this to find anything containing the word edge?

grep -i edger | dpkg -l -- lists everything.
      dpkg –l | grep –i edger -- gives an error.

Haven't found anything on grep online except how to search files.
      Last edited by vsreeser; Jul 17, 2015, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
        It says says system error and asks if I want to report it. Info under details in that is cryptic. it said something about edgers, then vanished before I could write it down. I could uninstall it if i could find it. dpkg -l gave me a list, quite long. not good with grep. How would IO grep this to find anything containing the word edge?
        strange it sould not disapear,,,,,,,,(the details of the error) but "edgers" sounds like xorg-edgers PPA

"dpkg -l | grep edge" produces nothing @hear

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

grep -i edger | dpkg -l -- lists everything.
          dpkg –l | grep –i edger -- gives an error.

Haven't found anything on grep online except how to search files.
          what error ?

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

I restarted and the error is gone. Good, but confusing. Think I'll restart again

The system error is gone. Still have a weird ghosting problem though.
            Not a hardware thing as it doesn't happen in windows7 or opensuse 13.2 using noveau (however thats spelled) driver because I thought that would fix it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ghosties.png
Views:	2
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	642947

Click to enlarge
            Last edited by vsreeser; Jul 17, 2015, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I restarted and the error is gone. Good, but confusing. Think I'll restart again

The system error is gone. Still have a weird ghosting problem though.
              Not a hardware thing as it doesn't happen in windows7 or opensuse 13.2 using noveau (however thats spelled) driver because I thought that would fix it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6174[/ATTACH]

Click to enlarge
              ya that's 2 panels running at once .

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Almost perfect system now. using burg to boot. nicer than grub. have a stubborn bcd hanging around with options that I don't use for windows. haven't figured out how to get rid of that yet, but I will.

Comment

have a stubborn bcd hanging around with options that I don't use for windows. haven't figured out how to get rid of that yet, but I will.
                  ? what is this ,,,,,,,,elaborate

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Warning: BURG seems to be no longer actively maintained as the upstream bzr repo at https://code.launchpad.net/~bean123ch/burg/trunk does not seem to be updated after October 2010. Users are recommended to switch to GRUB(2) or Syslinux instead.
                    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BURG
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                      ? what is this ,,,,,,,,elaborate

VINNY
                      BCD controls booting of windows vista and above. Can be modified with EasyBCD to boot other OS, including linux.

Comment

Warning: BURG seems to be no longer actively maintained as the upstream bzr repo at https://code.launchpad.net/~bean123ch/burg/trunk does not seem to be updated after October 2010. Users are recommended to switch to GRUB(2) or Syslinux instead.
                        Finally found a bootloader where i can customize the look only to find it abandoned. just wanted to add a little 'eye-candy' to the boot process. And stump the wife and kids on what to do. The less they know how to use my computer, the less garbage ends up on it.

So, any other nice looking, highly customizable (visually) boot loaders around?
                        Last edited by vsreeser; Jul 17, 2015, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Almost perfect system now. using burg to boot. nicer than grub. have a stubborn bcd hanging around with options that I don't use for windows. haven't figured out how to get rid of that yet, but I will.
                          Fixed windows, broke burg. Used boot-repair to fix grub. Back in business. Still looking for a 'pretty' boot loader. Something more than just text. Guess I should learn to program and make my own.

Comment

Look at the boot manager rEFInd:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/refind.html

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post372221
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Fixed windows, broke burg. Used boot-repair to fix grub. Back in business. Still looking for a 'pretty' boot loader. Something more than just text. Guess I should learn to program and make my own.
                              what would you like ,,,,,,,you can have a background for your grub menu .

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X