This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

open source alternative to synergy?

Looking for a free alternative to synergy. Using one mouse and keyboard across multiple machines sounds great. Synergy is only $10 but I don't even have that. Car payment, 2 kids, utilities, you get the picture. Plus, I try to find free alternatives to everything. if nothing, i may spring for synergy if I can get a couple of independent good reviews (AKA users of Kubuntu.net)

I use synergy on two windows laptops that I have to have for work. They're connected to my Kubuntu machine and three monitors. Works great, although I'll say version 1.6.3 was more stable than the current 1.7.4 but it's a very active project so no doubt an update will appear soon. I know Snowhog also uses and loves it.

Synergy is open source. The source code is on Github. It's just no longer cost free. Too bad they raised it to $10, I paid $5 back when it was a voluntary donation.

Please Read Me

Comment

Some other choices:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-s...ple-computers/

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, you learn something new everyday!

I had no idea such software was possible. I had used a hardware KVM years ago but it didn't support USB so it's in the bottom of a drawer now. I have been using two PC's with two keyboards and mice for a while now and the number of times I've typed something on the wrong keyboard!

Thanks for this info guys, I will test some of the suggestions myself.
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

IMO, Synergy is well worth the money. Costs less than a mouse or keyboard, right?

Please Read Me

Comment

Synergy is EXCELLENT! I've been using it for several years, and, I provide donations on occassion. It is well worth getting.

You buy once, and ALL updates are at no additional cost -- for life.
            Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 17, 2015, 12:43 PM.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X