This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new linux users

I often ask my self these same few questions. Over, and over again I hear people complain about the things they don't like about “Windows” then i think to my self wow sounds like they might like Linux. I then suggest they use Kubuntu or Ubuntu or anther Linux distro depending but usually Ubuntu or Kubuntu recently. They then ask all the questions new people ask, even the questions i asked. Then however it turns into me constantly doing stuff for them, showing them the same thing i showed them 15 minuets ago. Then after this goes on for a long while they start having problems I have never seen, or ever even thought possibly. I fix them and the problems go on and on. Finally after much reluctance, because i do like to be a good Samaritan I am forced to remind them that i am not there personnel 24 hour computer support. (PLEASE keep in mind this does not refer to this website. If I see question here i can answer i do no sweat of me. And at the same time i ask them here.) So i was wondering if other see this kind of problem, and what do they think of it. Am I just a impatient person who should help more or at some point am i right in thinking this is a friend I am not getting paid and though i like to help people. they should be teaching them selves what i show them.

Re: new linux users

Sounds like you should be documenting 'the same thing over and over again' once, and pointing them to your ubuntu powered wiki web server, or even a set of html pages you give them on a cd. I know these options arn't really your responsibilty, but you have a nice free community based os, if you *can* give back by doing the above then kudos. That'd leave you more time to sort out the less common problems, and maybe feel more appreciated.

I just paused in writing this to have a look at the Ubuntu wiki site, seems ok, perhaps some specific links to this may help your friends too.

Comment

Re: new linux users

This is why I don't evangelize or push Linux on Windows users.

If I'm the primary motivator for people switching, I also become tech support... and the only tech support. If I don't support them, they just give up and go back to Windows anyway... only this time with a bad taste for Linux in their mouths. No thanks!

If people come to Linux by themselves (you let them know it exists, but they themselves have the motivation to switch--you're not convincing them into it), they're far more likely to be proactive about learning to find solutions themselves.
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
      X