Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolphin in live session not detecting partitions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin in live session not detecting partitions?

I made a Live Kubuntu USB thumb drive, USB3, it works great.
    I booted the PC with it, Try Kubuntu for a live session, OK.
    In the live session, no problem using Konsole (sometimes as root) to mount the partitions on the HDD on the PC, and access those partitions and work with the various directories and files on my HDD, OK.

My questions concerns Dolphin.
    Whether it is opened with kdesudo dolphin or opened as a user, it did not show me one of my partitions /dev/sda1 (FAT32)--it didn't show it at all, not mounted, not unmounted.
    Is there a way to coax Dolphin to detect all your partitions? and then give you options for mounting those you wish to mount, possibly as root -- all done in GUI at Dolphin? in the live session?

(Btw, I can mount /dev/sda1 (which is owned by root) at Konsole, as root, and THEN I can open Dolphin as root (kdesudo dolphin), and then I can access the contents of /dev/sda1 (mounted at the directory I mounted it at in Konsole). My question is how to do all this work in Dolphin-GUI, not using Konsole.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Kubuntu 14.04 live thumb drive, btw.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

what ver. of Kubuntu is the live-USB?

VINNY

snuk that in their on me ,,,,,,,let me go make one and see what we see
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

(Now and then, for reasons like this (OP), I miss Konqueror (file mgr), which seems to have gotten left by the wayside. But, I have gotten to like Dolphin, except for this business of listing under /media everything, with options to (un)mount.)

Comment

More generally, Dolphin is not showing any ESP partitions (a basic 500 MB FAT32) on the HDD under Devices (on the left panel of Dolphin window). Dolphin does, however, show my other Kubuntu partitions (root and /home for both 14.04 and 15.04). This applies to all Dolphins launched--in 14.04 on HDD, in 15.04 on HDD, and in live Kubuntu 14.04 on flash drive; and whether Dolphins are launched as user or as root.

Comment

An ‘EFI system partition’ is really just any partition formatted with
            one of the UEFI spec-defined variants of FAT and given a specific GPT
            partition type
            to help the firmware find it.
            the partition type code "EF00" is no doubt why dolphin will not see/show it .

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Well, I know the EF00 thing, but then Dolphin is programmed to censor that partition (under Devices), even though it is listed as mounted in fstab?, and even though you CAN open (in Dolphin) the mount point and its contents, /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu, and as root do whatever you want, including deletions?!

(I just installed Konqueror, and it is not listing anything in fstab. It used to at one time list everything--mounted and unmounted and gave you the option of doing whatver you wanted to do with those file systems.)

I mean, you can do everything at Konsole, but why this is an omission in Dolphin is a frustrating mystery to me. Btw, a guy at Mint had the same problem, he added an entry for the ESP in fstab, and then Dolphin listed it under Devices.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                the partition type code "EF00" is no doubt why dolphin will not see/show it .
                That's an interesting supposition. But let's do some investigating.

Perhaps Dolphin relies on certain information provided by Solid to determine what, exactly, is a "device." Under investigation here will be my X250. It contains a single drive, a Crucial BX100 256 GB SSD.

The objects known by Solid:
                Code:
                steve@x250:~$ [B]solid-hardware list[/B]
                Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::Device::Changed()
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input2'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0D:00/input/input0'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/sound/card1/hdaudioC1D0'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/sound/card1/hdaudioC1D0/hwC1D0'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/sound/card1/hdaudioC1D0/pcmC1D3p'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/sound/card1/hdaudioC1D0/pcmC1D7p'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/sound/card1/hdaudioC1D0/pcmC1D8p'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/sound/card1/controlC1'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-8/1-8:1.0/video4linux/video0'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:19.0/net/eth0'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/hdaudioC0D0'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/hdaudioC0D0/hwC0D0'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/hdaudioC0D0/pcmC0D0c'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/hdaudioC0D0/pcmC0D0p'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/controlC0'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:03:00.0/net/wlan0'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS0'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS1'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS10'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS11'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS12'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS13'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS14'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS15'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS16'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS17'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS18'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS19'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS2'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS20'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS21'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS22'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS23'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS24'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS25'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS26'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS27'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS28'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS29'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS3'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS30'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS31'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS4'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS5'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS6'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS7'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS8'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS9'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/virtual/net/lo'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/virtual/sound/seq'
                udi = '/org/kde/solid/udev/sys/devices/virtual/sound/timer'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram7'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram12'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram11'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram10'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram6'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram5'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram4'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram3'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram2'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram1'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram0'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda3'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda2'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda1'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/loop7'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/loop1'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/loop6'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/loop5'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/loop3'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/loop2'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram8'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/loop0'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/loop4'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram9'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram15'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram14'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/ram13'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/CT250BX100SSD1_1513F004DDE5'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UPower'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_AC'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0'
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1'
                udi = '/org/kde/fstab'
                Let's investigate the device sda:
                Code:
                steve@x250:~$ [B]solid-hardware details /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda[/B]
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda'
                  parent = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/CT250BX100SSD1_1513F004DDE5'  (string)
                  vendor = ''  (string)
                  product = 'CT250BX100SSD1'  (string)
                  description = '232.9 GiB Hard Drive'  (string)
                  Block.major = 8  (0x8)  (int)
                  Block.minor = 0  (0x0)  (int)
                  Block.device = '/dev/sda'  (string)
                  StorageVolume.ignored = true  (bool)
                  StorageVolume.usage = 'PartitionTable'  (0x3)  (enum)
                  StorageVolume.fsType = ''  (string)
                  StorageVolume.label = ''  (string)
                  StorageVolume.uuid = ''  (string)
                  StorageVolume.size = 250059350016  (0x3a38b2e000)  (qulonglong)
                Hm. StorageVolume.ignored = true seems like a clue. Continuing...

Let's investigate the partition sda1:
                Code:
                steve@x250:~$ [B]solid-hardware details /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda1[/B]
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda1'
                  parent = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/CT250BX100SSD1_1513F004DDE5'  (string)
                  vendor = ''  (string)
                  description = '512.0 MiB Hard Drive'  (string)
                  Block.minor = 1  (0x1)  (int)
                  Block.device = '/dev/sda1'  (string)
                  StorageAccess.accessible = true  (bool)
                  StorageAccess.filePath = '/boot/efi'  (string)
                  StorageAccess.ignored = true  (bool)
                  StorageVolume.usage = 'FileSystem'  (0x2)  (enum)
                  StorageVolume.fsType = 'vfat'  (string)
                  StorageVolume.uuid = 'df45-339a'  (string)
                  StorageVolume.size = 536870912  (0x20000000)  (qulonglong)
                This is my EFI system partition. Note that StorageVolume.ignored = true is present here, too.

Let's investigate the partition sda2:
                Code:
                steve@x250:~$ [B]solid-hardware details /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda2[/B]
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda2'
                  vendor = ''  (string)
                  description = 'Swap Space'  (string)
                  Block.minor = 2  (0x2)  (int)
                  Block.device = '/dev/sda2'  (string)
                  StorageVolume.usage = 'Other'  (0x0)  (enum)
                  StorageVolume.fsType = 'swap'  (string)
                  StorageVolume.uuid = '029f106a-483c-45dc-a86b-f2dd39946837'  (string)
                  StorageVolume.size = 8589934592  (0x200000000)  (qulonglong)
                This is my swap partition. And once more, we StorageVolume.ignored = true.

Let's investigate the partition sda3:
                Code:
                steve@x250:~$ [B]solid-hardware details /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda3[/B]
                udi = '/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda3'
                  vendor = ''  (string)
                  description = '224.4 GiB Hard Drive'  (string)
                  Block.minor = 3  (0x3)  (int)
                  Block.device = '/dev/sda3'  (string)
                  StorageAccess.accessible = true  (bool)
                  StorageAccess.filePath = '/'  (string)
                  StorageAccess.ignored = false  (bool)
                  StorageVolume.ignored = false  (bool)
                  StorageVolume.usage = 'FileSystem'  (0x2)  (enum)
                  StorageVolume.fsType = 'btrfs'  (string)
                  StorageVolume.uuid = '40abba5a-82b0-46fc-a346-fa0eb25c7d28'  (string)
                  StorageVolume.size = 240931479040  (0x3818a29e00)  (qulonglong)
                This is my regular partition containing a Btrfs file system. A ha! Notice: StorageVolume.ignored = false. This seems like an important clue. Furthermore, the description here matches the entry in Dolphin's Places panel:

I think we've found an explanation for Dolphin's behavior. The question now, is, why does Udisks (which actually takes care of the underlying provisioning) mark the EFI system partition and the swap partition as "ignorable"?
                Last edited by SteveRiley; May 08, 2015, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Well, I'll be [d*mnded]. Since that drive, sda3, is listed OK, you can access it's mounted files, like /boot/efi being the mount point for sda1; but you can't access sda1 directly. That the correct view here?

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    Well, I'll be [d*mnded]. Since that drive, sda3, is listed OK, you can access it's mounted files, like /boot/efi being the mount point for sda1; but you can't access sda1 directly. That the correct view here?
                    It would appear so:

http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-a...00aeb7f622a25c

Comment

Humm so how to tell "solid" we dont want it to dumb down my applications ,,,,,,,,?

and I still think the partition type code has something to do with it ,,,,,,like maby solid is using it to determine what to ignore or not.

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

I still think the partition type code has something to do with it ,,,,,,like maby solid is using it to determine what to ignore or not.
                        I don't think so, not if you read the link I just posted under GRUB 2:
                        http://blog.uncooperative.org/blog/2...tem-partition/

From a certain POV, that ESP partition is just a FAT32 partition with some type and label, and with no guarantee what it is or if/whether/how important it is in a specific instance. Besides, discriminating on the basis of partition type codes is communism.

Comment

Btw, Dolphin doesn't even show it as mounted under /media or /mnt. (Konqueror used to do so, circa 8.04, but it doesn't do so in my 14.04.) But, again, do note that in Dolphin, if you click on "root" (or just type / in the location window), then /boot, then efi, you will get to the EFI subdirectory, and click on it and you will see the bootloader files, shim, grub.cfg, and what-not. But why the run-around?

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            and I still think the partition type code has something to do with it ,,,,,,like maby solid is using it to determine what to ignore or not.
                            Easy way to find out: change the partition type code on an ESP from ef00 to something else and see what happens.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                            Btw, Dolphin doesn't even show it as mounted under /media or /mnt. (Konqueror used to do so, circa 8.04, but it doesn't do so in my 14.04.) But, again, do note that in Dolphin, if you click on "root" (or just type / in the location window), then /boot, then efi, you will get to the EFI subdirectory, and click on it and you will see the bootloader files, shim, grub.cfg, and what-not. But why the run-around?
                            There is no run-around. The ESP isn't mounted to /media or /mnt. It's always mounted to /boot/efi. You can see that in /etc/fstab:
                            Code:
                            steve@x250:~$ [B]cat /etc/fstab[/B]
                            # <file system>                           <mount point>   <type>  <options>                      <dump>  <pass>
                            . . .
                            # /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
                            UUID=DF45-339A  /boot/efi                                 vfat    noatime,umask=0077             0       1
                            . . .
                            and in the list of current mounts:
                            Code:
                            steve@x250:~$ [B]cat /proc/mounts[/B]
                            . . . 
                            /dev/sda1 /boot/efi vfat rw,noatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0
                            . . .
                            Remember, there are few constraints as to where you can mount a file system into the tree. By convention, /media is used for removable media that's auto-mounted. /mnt is a generic point for other devices like optical and floppy drives.

Comment

Geez, of course I know the /boot/efi mount point! What am I thinking All this reading today is making me stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X