This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Development on Kubuntu

Ive been getting into web development lately and am wondering if anybody here can recommend some good tools for use on Kubuntu. Ive been using Kate for an editor and although I like it, Im beginning to find some of its shortfalls. Im thinking about Sublime Text or maybe PHP Storm, but dont really want to pay anything at this time. What is everyone else using?

I use Geany for my simple HTML and CSS needs.

In the past I have also used Aptana Studio and Eclipse.

Both Geany and Eclipse can be found in the IDEs section of Developer tools in Muon Discover.

Comment

Thanks WaltS48. Ill check them out!

Comment

Kate is pretty good as regards syntax highlighting. I presume you're looking for features like intelligent code completion? What else is important to you (or is a shortfall in Kate)?

Eclipse is powerful.
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Im looking for framework specific plugins. Kate is very lacking in the plugin department...

Comment

Not sure about the plugin-ability of Geany and things like that, but Eclipse has a whole ecosystem of plugins.
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I've been using Komodo Edit for some time now. I mainly use it for html, css and javascript, but it supports about a hundred languages. I've no experience with plugins, but there are some extensions and that's working well.
              Komodo Edit is the free and open source version of Komodo IDE.
              There's a forum where the developers actively answer questions and try to solve problems. It's not in the repos, but installing it is a piece of cake.
              Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Mar 12, 2015, 10:01 AM. Reason: I'm stille sleeping, I think.

Comment

Bluefish may work for you.

http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

It' in the Ubuntu repository.

Ken
                Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ill check them all out over the weekend.

Comment

How come no one mentioned KDevelop? Been using it for more than 1 year now. Quite solid. However much can be improved.

Comment

Also, you may want to have a look at Blue Griffin

Oops, spelt it wrong. It's Blue Griffon - but the link still works.
                      Last edited by Guest; Mar 14, 2015, 12:44 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Comment

As far as I know kdevelop doesn't suppor html. I tried it some time ago, but to be sure I've looked on their site, and it still doesn't name 'html'. css support is 'experimental'. Before using komodo edit I used Quanta, but that's not updated anymore and doesn't run on kde anymore. html and css are essential for sitebuilding, so any tool that doesn't have very good support for this languages (and JavaScript) is useless for building sites.

Comment

Here's what Ive found so far:

Kate - great editor but it lacks plugins which makes it difficult when using a framework. I also cant get it to integrate with 3rd party software like Gulp which is really inconvenient.

Kdevelop - seems good, but it explodes when working on large projects.

Eclipse - cant even get it to open. It doesnt seem to like my Java installation...

Bluefish - Works great, but again it lacks the plugins I need. The interface is also a bit cluttered.

Sublime Text 3 - Wow. Simple, yet feature packed. Also has a huge amount of add-ons. So far this is the clear winner. Lacks some of the capabilities of the IDEs though but Im guessing I can find third party packages that can make life a little easier.

Comment

Working...
                          X