This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remember virtual cd?

I have 3 disk images I made with virtual cd a few years ago. Nothing wants to open them. When I try to search the net, i get instructions on how to play vcds. These are images of Ageof Mythology and the titans expansion. Old game, but I still enjoy playing it, so want to install in play on linux if I can convert or extract the images

are these .ISO images or what ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      are these .ISO images or what ?

VINNY
      They are. Made originally with the program virtualcd
      http://download.cnet.com/Virtual-CD/...-10383683.html

I used magicdisk to load them in windows. Can't find a version of magidisk or magiciso to use in linux.

Tried using isobuster through wine. That didn't work. First thing I tried was mounting wiht dolphin. It fails too. Thought about downloading new iso's but couldn't find any torrents that work. Can't my find my disks either or I would just make new iso
      Last edited by vsreeser; Feb 24, 2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Try right-clicking on the file, and select Open With >> Ark, if all you want is to extract files. I thought that the k3b burner program also opened iso files as well as burned them, but I can't seem to see where.

For mounting, there are also right-click context menu addons for Dolphin that are simple to use in Dolphin: >> control >> configure Dolphin >> Services >> Dowload NEw Services >> search for "iso", there should be few.

Mounting iso images is also an easy way to get one's feet wet with the terminal:
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountIso

And there are a number of gui programs that are available in the Muon Discover/software center/Package Manager

Many like the dolphin addon as it is the quickest and easiest to use, followed by the command line as it is fairly simple command to run.
        Last edited by claydoh; Feb 24, 2015, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Try right-clicking on the file, and select Open With >> Ark, if all you want is to extract files. I thought that the k3b burner program also opened iso files as well as burned them, but I can't seem to see where.

For mounting, there are also right-click context menu addons for Dolphin that are simple to use in Dolphin: >> control >> configure Dolphin >> Services >> Dowload NEw Services >> search for "iso", there should be few.

Mounting iso images is also an easy way to get one's feet wet with the terminal:
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountIso

And there are a number of gui programs that are available in the Muon Discover/software center/Package Manager

Many like the dolphin addon as it is the quickest and easiest to use, followed by the command line as it is fairly simple command to run.
          Tried all these things before. Also tried renaming to .iso fle. All failed to open. Will keep looking. And look for my own cds which are somewhere in this house

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
            Tried all these things before. Also tried renaming to .iso fle. All failed to open. Will keep looking. And look for my own cds which are somewhere in this house
            Then they are not actually iso images, but some other format.I should have asked what file type the images are.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Then they are not actually iso images, but some other format.I should have asked what file type the images are.
              They were made with H&H virtualcd. Not sure the program even exists anymore. Finding my cds has proven a problem. If you have teenagers at home, you'll know why I can't find anything

Comment

once agin ,,,,are they .iso ,,,,if yes then just try to mount it from the CLI

Code:
                sudo mkdir /mnt/iso
                Code:
                sudo mount -v -t iso9660 /path/to/.iso /mnt/iso
                then you can go to /mnt/iso and see the files or maby get some info ,,,like wrong file system type or something

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
                  They were made with H&H virtualcd. Not sure the program even exists anymore. Finding my cds has proven a problem. If you have teenagers at home, you'll know why I can't find anything
                  Doing a simple search using DuckDuckGo I found this web site -> http://www.virtualcd-online.com/

The software is only for Windows but you may be able to run it through Wine or through Windows in a VM (if you have it).

Comment

If we knew the file type created (what file extension) we might be able to find what to open it/how to open it with. I don't have windows handy, and don't feel like installing and setting up wine.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                      Doing a simple search using DuckDuckGo I found this web site -> http://www.virtualcd-online.com/

The software is only for Windows but you may be able to run it through Wine or through Windows in a VM (if you have it).
                      Have a winxp and win 7 set up. Will try there. If magicdisc would run on linux, I could open it with that too

Comment

you can try
                        acetoneiso or furiousisomount
                        one of them may mount that format.

although FCD is not an image format i have seen before...
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                        X