This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Vivid Vervet daily build comments

Yea most people don't need comments on it but thought I'd make a few.

On an AMD64 fx6100 6 core 3.3 ghz 8 gig ram 250 gig 2008 Hitachi Deskstar.

I tried i386 on an older machine and it would install but then not run. Also tried a usb install on an 8 gig didn't work.

what worked:

Two attempts at an install were made, the second took.
    The installation time was about 20 minutes,
    Trying to get the wireless to work from within the install didn't work, I had to do it from the live cd.
    As opposed ot other "bleeding edge" distros, the wireless kept kicking on and off during the install. But since it is a daily build that kind of stuff is to be expected.
    The buttons for downloading updates over the net and adding in other stuff "came and went", it took two backouts and going through again to get all of the pieces to work together but then it did install.
    Basically the normal Ubuntu 4 click install.

Post installation:

The provided applications do work, although I did not do all of LibreOffice.
    Writer functioned.
    There is no install function for a printer yet.
    Kontact works, but, because Kontact has not been ported yet, a generic IMAP e-mail account does not populate.
    Amarok works and the provided .pls streams work, sound works, video works, no "restricted extras" were needed to be added post install they were included in the presetup for the installation.
    Post installagion, again, the wireless kicks in and out.

DRAGGING to expand a window requires fairly accurate mouse technique, the very tip of the mouse has to touch the very tip of the corner of the window, there is no visual confirmation that it has been done, but one can indeed drag to resize a window.

GUI comments

The dashboard works.
    I added a clock widget which held through two restarts, a folder view did not.
    I added a new activity, the first time, going to it crashed the system, the second time it held.

Appearance comments:

I don't find the new metro type appearance to be bad. However as a personal preference I like "dimensional" and "shiney".

Not much more to report now, if there are questions, please ask.

woodtryingitsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 19, 2015, 08:20 PM.

Until recently i had to disable color tiling before the desktop worked properly (Radeon Tahiti card).
    screen rotation is also working now but can be flaky, screen corrupts for a second before working.

not keen on the default kickoff launcher style, might switch to the 2nd kickoff when vervet is released.

Comment

Installed Vivid last night. Installed it on a USB hard drive. Machine is an AMD A6 with 22gb of ram. Kubuntu 14.10 64 runs off main hard drive. Other than a few quirks in Firefox on a few Yahoo pages, there is no problem with sound. On the vivid install I can't get sound to work. Both digital and analog sound show up in settings, but neither prodcue a sound when tested. Sound doesn't work in either Firefox or Chromium browsers. Also notice some jerkiness in video.

Comment

Working...
      X