X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam Counter-Strike GO Instant Crashes

Hi!

I have no idea where to ask and can't find any recent info on the web so I'm reaching out to you guys!
    I recently installed the native Steam-Linux-Software on my Kubuntu-machine. Through Steam I installed CS:GO and it installed without errors.
    The problem is that when I join a server or start a game it crashes the whole system. Not even Ctrl+Alt+Backspace works.
    Any sugestions what the problem might be? Or what log that is relevant /var/log/syslog doesen't show anything rellated to the crash.

EDIT: It seems to work fine in windowed mode. Anyway in windowed mode my FPS is useless for some reason, normally it is around 400 and now it is between 150-250 (not the end of the world but you know...).

Thanks in advance!
    Experienced user in RedHat/CentOS Server-environment.
    Beginner at Linux Client-softwares.

What video card and driver do you have?
    What video card/driver and OS did you get the 400 fps?

Depending on the card/driver used you probably have to tweak the game's own settings.
    You also might want to check out System Settings, in the desktop effects section or somewhere, you can try enabling the setting "Suspend Desktop Effects for full screen windows"

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      What video card and driver do you have?
      What video card/driver and OS did you get the 400 fps?
      Thanks for the reply!
      The video card I'm using is an Asus nvidia GeForce 660 Ti (Currently with 304.125 proprietary driver cuz it seems to let me play longer before the game crashes).
      I got the 400fps on the same machine with windows 8.1.

Complete hardware setup:
      Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 3,5GHz
      Memory: Corsair 32GB at 1666Mhz
      Harddrive: Intel SSD 180GB
      GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
      ECU: Corsair Gold 750W

UPDATE: The window-mode did not let me play after all... After about 15 minutes the game crashes again and completely freezing the whole Kubuntu system.

Comment

Other than tweaking the in-game settings and trying out different driver versions (which you seem to have done already). I don't see anything in the nvidia config tool that will help, but I have no clue on these things.

Linux versus Windows driver performance will not be equal, though that gap seems to be narrowing all the time.

Comment

Ok, after a whole night of googel-searching I have come to a conclusion. My graphiccard doesnt respond very well to the Linux-drivers and there is tons of possible causes of my problem so I guess I have to use Windows on my gaming-machine and then use Kubuntu on my every day laptop and wait for better nvidia-support in Kubuntu.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Comment

Have you tried using the Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver downloaded directly from GeForce and installed per the instructions in the link? According to the page:
            Supported Products

GeForce 600 Series

GeForce GTX 690, GeForce GTX 680, GeForce GTX 670, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, GeForce GTX 660, GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST, GeForce GTX 650 Ti, GeForce GTX 650, GeForce GTX 645, GeForce GT 645, GeForce GT 640, GeForce GT 630, GeForce GT 620, GeForce GT 610, GeForce 605
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

that is an older driver you are using,,,,,,their are newer ones.

VINNY

EDIT: Snowhog beet me to the button
              Last edited by vinnywright; Feb 08, 2015, 01:07 PM.
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Have you tried using the Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver downloaded directly from GeForce and installed per the instructions in the link?
                I have tried those (installed via terminal) and also many more and all drivers behave the same. A few minutes of gaming and than crashes witch makes me believe than it is not the drivers who are messing with me.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                that is an older driver you are using,,,,,,their are newer ones.
                I have tried both the newest and the oldest and all in between, installed both with repositories and the drivers-utility.

EDIT: Clocking down my graphics card didn't make the trick either. I have now installed another OS on my comp but I'd like to solve this for the future Kubuntu-users to read.

Comment

not realy a gamer ,,,,but I do have steam and "star conflict" which playes quite well on my
                  Code:
                  NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 860M] X.Org: 1.15.1 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
                             GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 860M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.113 Direct Rendering: Yes
                  I guess I could look for and install the game you are having trouble with ,,,,,,,,,,,,is it just the one game , or all games you play?

VINNY

OOPS: that game costs $14.00 I'll not be testing that any time soon
                  Last edited by vinnywright; Feb 08, 2015, 04:33 PM.
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I didn't try any other game so I don't know if the problem applies to other games.

Haha, it is worth every penny, brilliant game (when it works). 😊

Comment

Working...
                    X