X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Kubuntu Vivid Vervet install usb

LOL
    it worked!

This is on a HP Pavallion AMD fx6100 6 core , 3.3 GHZ, 8 gb ram 2 Terrabyte(never thought I would type THAT word in relation to my computer), AMD Radeon 7500 video.

a) The dvd burned flawlessly.
    b) The live DVD runs flawlessly, and it is an interesting distro. There ARE some similarities to NetRunner, but not a lot.
    c) I cannot find the single button to change themes.
    d) Only have one hard drive for this machine, so I decided to install it on a 64 gb Lexar usb stick.
    e) the install took........hours..........
    f) As is normal trying to run a "heavy" distro on a usb stick, the distro "loads" very, very slow, like five minutes.
    g) Loading an application such as LibreOffice takes like two minutes. HOWEVER, it then runs almost in normal time, which, again, is common to running from a USB.
    h) For the first times in years....I installed the AMD version on an AMD machine! Almost invariably, before this, I have installed the intel version on an AMD machine. When I tried to install the AMD version, it would say "wrong architecture".

i) in both the live DVD and usb situation, the wireless was found automagically.
    j) There is not a printer function on this, but...what the hey, maybe I just don't know where to look!

So.....that is kewl!

Big takeway for woodsmoke:

a) I am NOT "offput" by the breezy theme, as with most things like this if there is not something really offputting, then it is just getting used to it.

But.........again, I'm not offput by the theme.

b) I've been running the live DVD and doing work with it, storing all data on an external drive of course.

I think I'll probably spring for another hd and install it.

c) I think that for someone who has maybe thought about "living on the edge" who has an extra hard drive, I..... think maybe go for it!

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

if there are questions, please ask.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 27, 2015, 08:09 PM.
Working...
X