This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'hacking' wireless

I have 2 machines that can connect with eth0 and wlan0. Doing this for a regular internet connection would provide no benefit. Is there a way I can isolate the wireless connection and only use it with penetration testing software? Want to learn how to use pen test tools as it may help me with security jobs in the future. One machine is using a Netgear WNR1100 card. The other is a HP 20-b0111, not sure what it is using, but I can connect with it. Also, looking for good pentest software. I tried installing KALI. Liked the tools, did not like the setup of th OS although I understand it is based on ubuntu. Not going to hack neighbors connection (they run 30Mbps and I have 150, so there would be no point.)
    Figured I take one of the routers out of the basement and hook to an old machine. Have an old XP laying around. Course, it might be easier to use vmswith win7, win8, win 10 preview, and ubuntu or other linux to test on

While unemployed, develop new skills
    Last edited by vsreeser; Jan 12, 2015, 12:02 AM.

you will need a wifi card that supports monitor mode. not all support this, you may want to get an atheros based card as they seam to work with monitor mode most of the time. (accually i don't think i have had one not work with monitor mode yet of the dozen or so i have used )
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
      I tried installing KALI. Liked the tools, did not like the setup of th OS although I understand it is based on ubuntu.
      I am with you on this one. Kali is - in my opinon - ugly, clunky-feeling, and not very inviting. Quite frankly, I just plain don't like it. Even though it has been superseded by Kali, I would recommend BackTrack 5r3. BT5 is based on the GNOME GUI, so it looks, feels, and operates exactly like Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and it also comes with the same tools as Kali. Even though they are slightly older versions than what Kali has, they function just as effectively. If you opt for a full install over a live desktop environment, a simple apt-get update will bring those tools up to the latest versions.

BT5 is no longer maintained and the BackTrack website will direct you to Kali, but you can still find the ISOs for download. A quick Google search found this:

Code:
      http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/BackTrack-9477.shtml
      There are links for both 32-bit and 64-bit with either GNOME or KDE. Although KDE is nice to look at (this is the Kubuntu Forums after all ) I prefer the GNOME version for BT5.

TIP: When I first started playing around with BT5 I had to Google to find out how to even log in. I'll save you the trouble here. Default username is "root" and default password is "toor", after which type the startx command to load GNOME.

Comment

May go that route. I have found a way to install most kali tools in Kubuntu 14.04 Using it as a multi-purpose machine. 1Tb hard drive, so backing up all important files to it. Will be getting samba set up soon. Going to look into making it part of the windows homegroup, but that's another topic. Back to the tools. I can add the repo's and install just about everything, but I would like some help in getting it all into a nice menu. Can do most anything with windows (helps to make money), nut just learning to modify the GUI part of Linux

Comment

Why prefer looks and use a no longer system instead of using an up to date system that is a bit less good looking ?
          Pen testing is normally done as part of a security audit, so using a no longer maintained distro that is probably lacking a number of security updates
          seems a very bad idea in that line of work.

The intention here is to use it for educational purposes, but you may as well learn to apply good security habits to begin with.
          Installing the pen testing packages in an up to date ..buntu release seems much better to me than using an outdated distro.
          Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
          linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
          A good place to start:
          Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Originally posted by mbohets View Post
            Why prefer looks and use a no longer system instead of using an up to date system that is a bit less good looking ?
            Pen testing is normally done as part of a security audit, so using a no longer maintained distro that is probably lacking a number of security updates
            seems a very bad idea in that line of work.

The intention here is to use it for educational purposes, but you may as well learn to apply good security habits to begin with.
            Installing the pen testing packages in an up to date ..buntu release seems much better to me than using an outdated distro.
            I understand your point, but BT5 has only been "un-maintained" for less than a year now. The base OS and all its components ARE still being maintained and updated, hence the ability to bring it up-to-date with a simple "apt-get upgrade" in the Terminal. Note also that the current versions of all the tools included within BT5 and Kali can be installed on ANY Debian-based OS with very little effort. I wasn't saying that one MUST use BT5; I was merely stating my personal preference in agreement with the OP.
            Last edited by GKNByNW; Jan 15, 2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

I have iso's of both kali and bt5. Have them installed in virtualbox right now. For me, it's a matter of being able to customize easily and have an up to date system. Running Kubuntu 14.04, installing tools found in kali and bt5 and adding them to a pentest menu I added with Kmenuedit

Comment

Working...
              X