This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Password not recognised

I have installed kubuntu 6.06 but on reboot it will not recognise my password so I can't log in. Can anyone suggest something. I'm stuck!

Re: Password not recognised

Can you be more specific than "it will not recognise my password"? Are you in graphical mode? Are you in terminal mode? Is there any feedback (little dots or asterisks) when you type in your password? Do you get an actual error message ("password incorrect")?
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Thanks for response Aysiu. All I do is type in my username and then my password which appears in black dots and below appears in red letters login failed/incorrect password or words to that effect.

Can you be more specific than "it will not recognise my password"? Are you in graphical mode? Are you in terminal mode? Is there any feedback (little dots or asterisks) when you type in your password? Do you get an actual error message ("password incorrect")?

Comment

Can you suggest a way to uninstall kubuntu 6.06? I can't get into it and my hard drive has run out of space making the XP OS unstable.

Comment

Well, before you uninstall it, let's see if we can just change your password.

Can you reboot into recovery mode (it's the option between what you regularly boot to and "memtest")? Then type these commands:
          Code:
          passwd username
          reboot
          Where username is your actual username.
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I have reinstalled K 6.06 with a new name and password and it works!

I tried your suggestion but couldn't find the command to type in username.

As I see it (I am green as far as partitioning and Linux are concerned) my PC is now partitioned into 3: XP and 2 K 6.06. One K 6.06, the first install, cannot be accessed. How can I remove/delete it?

I appreciate your assistance.

Comment

Code:
              sudo aptitude update
              sudo aptitude install gparted gksu
              gksudo gparted
              Unmount the old Kubuntu partition and then delete it and create a new one... http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux.html

Comment

Sorry but there are too many words and codes that I am not grasping at the moment. I am attempting tasks without the necessary knowledge and I am well and truly stuck. I deleted two partitions (thought to be related to the first install) resulting in Kubuntu error 22 (locking the system) forcing me to use the Live CD yet again and a third install otherwise I couldn't even get XP to work! I'll give it a rest. Thanks again for your patience. Regards.

Originally posted by aysiu
                Code:
                sudo aptitude update
                sudo aptitude install gparted gksu
                gksudo gparted
                Unmount the old Kubuntu partition and then delete it and create a new one... http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux.html

Comment

Working...
                X