This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music ripping and movement/storage ?

Historically, I liked to use "sound juicer" to rip any CD's to file, as I like to keep my music as .flac files. My partner has a COWON D2 player, so it makes sense to use .ogg for her music.

Of late, I've learned how to use K3B to rip her music and after installing some of the flac tools, to use it for my stuff too.

So, if I'm just ripping a CD for her, K3B seems to rip it fine to her Music folder - I must have the right choices selected as I need to tell it to go there but the music rips with all the correct/appropriate track listing info, but........

When I connect her media player, then open 2 dolphin windows so that I can just select/drag/drop the music files to it, sometimes I get a dialogue error box, that it can't copy a certain track, or sometimes a while CD from one PC based location to the media player.

I think it may be something to do with the way that the music has been named i.e. if there is a colon (: sign) somewhere in the title, then it seems that if I make the folder for that artist/CD, but modify the name so that it doesn't have any colon in it, it seems to copy over fine.

So I'm presuming that it's something to do with how the software sees colons in track or CD names etc, but am not sure.

I have been just hitting "skip" when the warning dialogue comes up for just a single track that it can't make a copy (or file), so don't know if it's a consistent problem or not.

I'm wondering if it's a case that if it's an issue with colons in titles/names/track listings, whether it's the case that I just need to rename it slightly from it's original ripped file, so that it will copy via drag/drop and do the same for the individual tracks that seems to through up the similar error ?

Has anyone else found something similar ? If so, how did you get round it ?

I'd rather not have to check through all the files and rename them for this reason, unless I have to, as it's 3 or 4 hundred CD's worth of ripped music.........

TVM in advance of any assistance you might be able to offer.......
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Illegal Characters on Various Operating Systems

Illegal Characters on Various Operating Systems: https://kb.acronis.com/content/39790
    Illegal file/folder names and conventions for the following operating systems:
    Windows
    Mac OS 9
    Mac OS X

WINDOWS CONVENTIONS

The Windows operating system can use two different file systems, Protected-Mode File Allocation Table (FAT) file system and the New Technology File System (NTFS). The two systems have much in common, but the characters permitted in a file or folder name may differ. In the conventions listed below, it is true for both systems unless otherwise specified. Specifically there are cases where NTFS does not have the limitations (see note below).

The following characters are invalid as file or folder names on Windows using NTFS:
    / ? < > \ : * | " and any character you can type with the Ctrl key...
    => Trying to copy a mp3 with the colon ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_(punctuation) ) in the file name to the microsd card (fat, Android) will show an error message.

Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Working...
    X