Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I installed the guest additions because the Win7 VBox guest defaulted to a low screen resolution. I also need USB and Shared Folder support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Comment

All and all most things in my WIn7 Guest works great. After many VM reboots of Win7 I can't quite figure out the sound issue. Seems to be a Win7 issue as my test Win8 seems happy sound wise. Odd. Oh well, as I said I only use my Win7 to support my works IE reliant stuff anyway and sound is of no importance.

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
        How did you get video set to 256MB? 128MB is the max I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Enable 3D acceleration. It will allow you to increase the video memory to 256MB
        Click image for larger version

Name:	vbox_video_settings.png
Views:	1
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	642455

Comment

Originally posted by dtr View Post
          Enable 3D acceleration. It will allow you to increase the video memory to 256MB
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]5285[/ATTACH]
          Thanks. This did allow me to increase the video memory to 256MB.

In addition to this I increased the System Base Memory from 2GB to 3GB.
          I also reinstalled the guest additions using this for a guide.
          How To Enable Windows 7 Aero Effects Inside VirtualBox

Performance is better and I also have Windows 7 Aero Effects! I have sound too.
          sigpic

Comment

I get prity good performance out of my win7 KVM ..............new install doing win-updates,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

geting ready to respond to this thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

operation is pritty seamless the mouse can go to the KVM and out to the Kubuntu desktop without having to click something to regane control of it and the keyboard as well whatever has focus has the keyboard.

VINNY

EDIT: OK one more showing full screen ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by vinnywright; Sep 14, 2014, 11:50 AM.
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny, KVM looks interesting. I plan to try that some time in the future on a new box. I know a lot has been posted about it here, and I plan to use it a guide. My host is getting a little dated. It's a dual core with only 6GB of RAM and with 3GB of that allocated to the Windows 7 guest. My host is consuming about 80% of its RAM to run the Windows 7 guest, but I don't really see a performance hit.

A lot of good information is posted in this thread.

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
              ... Windows experience in vm has video at 1. It is 4.3 in straight windows. I was hoping to get at least half (2.1) ...
              For what its worth, I was able to achieve this on my guest.

My Windows 7 experience was a 1.0 without 2D video, and 3D acceleration.
              Last edited by life0riley; Sep 16, 2014, 12:40 AM. Reason: fix typos
              sigpic

Comment

@vinny I would be interested to see the windows experience index from the KVM. I would like to use the native solution if it compares to VB.

Of course mine looks bad because I do not allow 3D but the rest is good and I am happy with performance so far.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	software3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	642468

The Vbox has 7GB of the 16GB ram in this box with a nvidia card.
                Last edited by anika200; Sep 15, 2014, 07:27 AM.

Comment

well it will not be as good as yours ,,,,,,,,,,mine has 2GB RAM of the 4 in the box and 1 CPU using VMVGA on my intel corei3 integrated graphics ................but right after I run to the store I will post that screen shot

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

OK her we go

like I said .........a bit lower than yours ,,,,,,,but on your box it may be better .

I'm using
                    Code:
                    virt-manager/trusty,now 0.9.5-1ubuntu3 all [installed]
                      desktop application for managing virtual machines
                    but have QtEmu and AQEMU installed as well ,, but thay do not work as well or at all (I need to play with them some more).

you may as well check it out , it only depends on a few gtk things ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Code:
                    vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~$ apt show virt-manager
                    Package: virt-manager
                    Priority: optional
                    Section: admin
                    Installed-Size: 3,342 kB
                    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
                    Original-Maintainer: Debian Libvirt Maintainers <pkg-libvirt-
                    Version: 0.9.5-1ubuntu3
                    Depends: gconf2 (>= 2.28.1-2), python:any (>= 2.7.1-0ubuntu2), python-gtk2, python-glade2, python-gnome2, python-dbus, python-urlgrabber, python-vte, librsvg2-common, python-libvirt (>= 0.7.1), virtinst (>= 0.600.4), python-gtk-vnc (>= 0.3.8), python-appindicator
                    Recommends: libvirt-bin (>= 0.4.6), gnome-icon-theme
                    Suggests: virt-viewer, ssh-askpass, gnome-keyring, python-gnomekeyring, python-guestfs, python-spice-client-gtk
                    Download-Size: 280 kB
                    Homepage: http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/
                    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
                    Origin: Ubuntu
                    Supported: 5y
                    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
                    APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
                    Description: desktop application for managing virtual machines
                     It presents a summary view of running domains and their live performance &
                     resource utilization statistics. A detailed view presents graphs showing
                     performance & utilization over time. Ultimately it will allow creation of new
                     domains, and configuration & adjustment of a domain's resource allocation &
                     virtual hardware.  Finally an embedded VNC client viewer presents a full
                     graphical console to the guest domain.
                     NOTE: the GUI is still considered experimental.
                    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

AQEMU ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Code:
                    vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~$ apt show aqemu
                    Package: aqemu
                    Section: universe/x11
                    Installed-Size: 4,406 kB
                    Original-Maintainer: Ignace Mouzannar <mouzannar@gmail.com>
                    Version: 0.8.2-2
                    Depends: qemu, libc6 (>= 2.14), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libqt4-network (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-test (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-xml (>= 4:4.5.3), libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), libvncserver0
                    Recommends: qemu-kvm
                    Download-Size: 1,770 kB
                    Homepage: http://aqemu.sourceforge.net/
                    APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
                    Description: Qt4 front-end for QEMU and KVM
                     aqemu is a Qt4 graphical interface used to manage QEMU and KVM virtual
                     machines. It has a user-friendly interface and allows one to set up the
                     majority of QEMU and KVM options.
                    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,

Code:
                    vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~$ apt show qtemu
                    Package: qtemu
                    Section: universe/x11
                    Installed-Size: 1,783 kB
                    Original-Maintainer: Debian KDE Extras Team <pkg-kde-extras@lists.alioth.debian.org>
                    Version: 2.0~alpha1-1ubuntu5
                    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libqt4-dbus (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-network (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-svg (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-xml (>= 4:4.5.3), libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.5.3), libqtwebkit4 (>= 2.1.0~2011week13), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), libvncserver0, qemu
                    Suggests: sudo, iproute, net-tools, bridge-utils, uml-utilities
                    Download-Size: 929 kB
                    Homepage: http://qtemu.org
                    APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
                    Description: graphical user interface for QEMU
                     QtEmu is a graphical user interface for QEMU written in Qt4. It has the
                     ability to run virtual operating systems on native systems. This way you can
                     easily test a new operating system or try a Live CD on your system without any
                     troubles and dangers.
                    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

seam to be all QT maby one of them will work for you ,,,,,,,,,,I was installing and trying this and that and may not have tested them thoroughly

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                    X