This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F5/Execute in Geany doesn't work on Kubuntu 14.04

I have been trying out Geany for the first time, however F5/Execute doesn't work in Kubuntu 14.04.

Test setup:
    • New project named "hello-world"
    • Single C file named "hello-world.c" containing a trivial hello world program
    • All settings left at default

On Ubuntu 14.04, F9/Build correctly builds hello-world, and F5/Execute correctly runs it.
    On Kubuntu 14.04, F9/Build correctly builds hello-world, but F5/Execute does not run it. Instead, a terminal window appears with a $ prompt and nothing else.

Both tests were done in VirtualBox VMs with clean installs with all updates installed. The same symptom occurs if I try Geany on my laptop running Kubuntu 14.04.

I've had the same problem too ... it appears to be related to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...le/+bug/948321

My workaround was to install the actual "xterm X terminal emulator" and it now works just like it did in Ubuntu.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Ah, thank you! That's got me looking in the right place, and I've found another workaround.

In Edit -> Preferences -> Tools, change the Terminal from
      Code:
         x-terminal-emulator -e "/bin/sh %c"
      to
      Code:
         x-terminal-emulator -e /bin/sh %c
      and Execute starts working as expected.

Comment

Another workaround is to create a simple script in $HOME/bin/x-terminal-emulator:
        Code:
        #!/bin/bash
        konsole $*
        and chmod +x it. geany will use this in preference to /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator (which is linked eventually to konsole in kubuntu).

I think the underlying problem is that the terminal-emulator script gets two parameters, "-e" and "/bin/sh ./geany_run_script.sh", and konsole wants 3, the /bin/sh separated from the ./geany_run_script.sh.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
        X