This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading CPU

My friend and I are restoring an old Dell Dimension d233. We put kubuntu 6.06 on it, and it works fine.

The system came with a pentium II 233mhz, and another friend gave me a pentium II 450mhz that fits in the same socket. I understand that this probably won't run at the full speed because I think it requires a 100Mhz FSB, and the Dell has only a 66Mhz FSB. However, I'd like to run it as close to full speed as possible. Just dropping it in the computer, it runs at 300MHz. I've tried going into system configuration and choosing a different speed, but no success. I've read that the FSB can be successfully changed to 72Mhz, but only seen Windows programs to do this. My question is, are there Linux programs to overclock the FSB and to change the CPU multipliers for this system?

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: Upgrading CPU

I would use google/linux to search for any Linux programs that might facilitate overclocking. Off hand, I don't think I've ever heard of one, but I wasn't looking.

Comment

Hi,

I guess the best way would be the "old" method, I mean the bios settings... The only trouble is that I'm not sure you have this in a dell machine.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks on the BIOS idea. I did some research that I should have done before posting, and found that you have to replace the Dell BIOS with the Intel BIOS for that board, and it should recognize the new chip. I tried it but it corrupted the floppy (I think I have a bad drive) so my friend is making me a disk. I'll post back with the results.

However, I'd still like to overclock it if possible... I have a Windows drive I can drop into the system and try that, but would that change the settings on the board or just how Windows sees it?

Tom

Comment

Even to overclock you will be able to modify vcore, frequency bus and multiplier in the bios if all these options are enable.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
          X