This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good place to get a no OS PC?

I have a desktop PC that's on its last legs. I'm convinced that I either cannot fix it or it's not worth fixing. It used to be my Ubuntu 8.04/Amarok jukebox PC. I bought it from geeks.com as a no-OS debranded HP. It was later pressed into service as a tri-boot, Windows 7, Windows XP, and Ubuntu PC when my old XP machine took a dive.

Last year my Ubuntu drive crashed, leaving the computer as only a Windows one. I use it mostly just to run my Magic Jack phone service and to burn DVDs. Here's what it's doing. You'll be using it and all of a sudden the mouse will freeze up. It gets stuck on the screen for a while and then after a little bit, it will move again. The keyboard freezes in the same manner. When I boot it in safe mode, it doesn't do it.

I figured Windows picked up some kind of malware that was not detectable by Kaspersky, so I reinstalled Windows 7, wiping out the XP install. Same problem with a fresh install. So I installed Puppy Linux on it, which as you probably know, is a very light-on-resources distro. Under Puppy, the screen resolution was the same dreadful 800x600 as Windows 7/safe mode. In similar fashion, under Puppy I did not have the same freezing problems. So I decided I would just make it a Kubuntu PC and not worry about malware. I wiped Puppy and installed Kubuntu, using a good screen resolution. However, I ran into the identical problems with the mouse and keyboard periodically getting stuck.

So I knew for sure now the problem was not malware. I wiped Kubuntu and put Windows 7 back on it. I noticed when I keep it at the crappy 800x600 resolution, it gets by, even if not in safe mode. I need this thing to run my Magic Jack phone service. That resolution is terrible, but at least MJ works. I have noticed I can sometimes temporarily restore a quality resolution and work with it for a while. Sometimes I think it's done with its problems, but they always return. Yesterday I was on Magic Jack call with the screen resolution normal when the bleepin' thing froze on me again. MJ did not keep running; I was kicked out of my call and I had to hard reboot the machine.

I have noticed sometimes the freezing starts when I put a device such as a thumb drive into a USB port. I'm thinking this PC's problems either have something to do with the video card or perhaps the motherboard is just dying. What do you think? If it's definitely the video card, that would be a simple fix by just replacing it. However, if it's the motherboard and I shell out the bucks for a video card, I've just flushed money down the toilet.

In any event, if someone has a fav place to pick up a no OS PC, I'd like to know about it. It seems geeks.com doesn't do so many of them anymore. I could hunt around at pawn shops for decent low-price desktops, but those usually don't have warranties. A 90-day warranty would be nice. I'll likely put Windows 7 on there with my current license and dual boot with Kubuntu. I just need to run my Magic Jack and a DVD burning program named ConvertXtoDVD. Then in Kubuntu I'll probably only use Amarok and K3B – and perhaps LibreOffice.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Ebay is an obvious place, if you care for that. I usually get my hardware there. "No OS" is a search option there. But that means no HD sometimes. Dell Financial has an ebay store, which is where I got my refurb laptop, often has stuff with no OS but all hardware present. Dell's http://www.dellauction.com/ is similar. But you have to like the auction scene. At least the Dell options above come with a short warrantee. Not all their stuff is without OS, so you have to look. And you have to want a Dell

I think Geeks.com's refurbs are priced a bit high imo, at least when I was comparing what the same items were actually selling for on the dell auction site, or the ebay store.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Ebay is an obvious place, if you care for that. I usually get my hardware there. "No OS" is a search option there. But that means no HD sometimes. Dell Financial has an ebay store, which is where I got my refurb laptop, often has stuff with no OS but all hardware present. Dell's http://www.dellauction.com/ is similar. But you have to like the auction scene. At least the Dell options above come with a short warrantee. Not all their stuff is without OS, so you have to look. And you have to want a Dell

I think Geeks.com's refurbs are priced a bit high imo, at least when I was comparing what the same items were actually selling for on the dell auction site, or the ebay store.
      Yeah, Geeks had way better prices back when I bought my Desktop. Their service was also quite good. I've never used Dell, but I'm not opposed to it, so I'll check out that site. I would need to get a low enough price to make it worth it. You can get a pretty inexpensive PC at a retail store these days. It would be loaded with that Windows 8 pure garbage, but obviously I know how to wipe that out and replace it with what I want to use. Ain't no way I'm ever using Windows 8. I would rather use Windows 3.1. I'd rather use a typewriter. I'd rather use legal pads and crayons.

Comment

http://stores.ebay.com/Dell-Financial sorry didn't link to the ebay site.

Comment

why not just buy parts and build a computer? that is usually cheeper and you get the parts you want.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
            why not just buy parts and build a computer? that is usually cheeper and you get the parts you want.
            I would say that depends on what you're building and where you are. I've rarely saved any money by building vs. buy off-the-shelf, at least not initially. The true bonus to self-build is choosing the most suitable componants for your mission. There is often a long-term savings because you won't have to upgrade so many parts down the road.

Retail PC makers ALWAYS skimp somewhere. That's the core of their profit. A Dell desktop with a single hard drive usually has a single drive cable and a PSU that's too weak to support any additional hard drives or add-in cards. Can't really blame them, or every penny they shave off a computer is a couple million pennies in the bank.

However, if a pre-built computer fills the mission desires, it's usually cheaper to buy it. I Think MS actually subsidizes new computers from it's "partners" because they get a kick-back from the companies that pre-install the adware and "demo" versions of crap.
            Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 30, 2013, 03:33 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Not necessarily. Depending on budgets, of course. My used HP sff desktop - core 2 duo 2.80Ghz E6300- with 2Gb ram but no HD cost me 55 bucks, shipped. It is 4 years old mind you, but still....

Looked at building a PC, but reasonably priced parts (ie NON arm/atom/celeron stuff) seems harder to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                That's an option I'm considering. It's unlikely it would be cheaper than a used somewhat older model, but building has its advantages. If I built, I could create a more powerful PC more suitable for video editing, which I might do at some point. I've never built from scratch before, and the thought is a bit intimidating, but I'd bet I could do it if I put my mind to it. I thought I had no carpentry skills, but I designed and built a monster cabinet for myself when I needed something unusual that I would have never been able to find.

And such a PC would likely last longer.

Comment

Building a PC is waaaay easier than woodworking!

Please Read Me

Comment

Build your own. Its incredibly easy. You basically just buy all the parts, screw them into the case and connect a few cables.

Comment

the hardest part is picking which components to buy!

Please Read Me

Comment

Yup, super duper easy. I got my desktop specifically because if I wanted to, I could upgrade some of the bits here and there, except for the power supply, unless somehow mod one to fit this chassis and change the mobo - proprietary connection it seems.

I made this purchase "fun" but not doing much research on it. What I can upgrade and how far I can go is the challenge. I can go as high as 8Gb ram, core 2 quad cpu, if i so desire. But for gpu I have to get a low profile card that is not power hungry. This makes it interesting for me similar to picking parts for a new build used to, with restrictions so i don't (can't) go crazy and spend $$ I don't have. Fun stuff

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          the hardest part is picking which components to buy!
                          Yes, it's possible to while away many, many hours browsing the pages of NewEgg. Time will escape quickly.

Comment

ummmmm....
                            get any pc
                            format the hard drive
                            check the many post web sites about getting past uefi
                            install the distro of your choice

no brainer

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                              get any pc
                              format the hard drive
                              I believe that Tom wishes to avoid paying the Windows "tax" again since he already has a Windows license.

Comment

Working...
                              X