Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Kubuntu never in the top ten on Distrowatch?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trick with openSUSE is to limit yourself to not add a billion repos or use a repo built for a different distro or version. Also I'm fairly sure openSUSE has the second largest package repository after Debian, and only comes second by a small margin. When using the community repos, untick stay subscribed to the repo unless its one of the big repos.
    EXACTLY what I did wrong. At the time (like opensuse 10?) I was still unwary of the repos. Having the variety and quantity of packages that opensuse had sort of ran me over. About the third time I broke my video driver, I found PCLinuxOS which was a lot simpler. Once I "cut my teeth" there, I wanted more software and that group does NOT want you adding anything to "their" OS, so I found Kubuntu and have been happy ever since.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      EXACTLY what I did wrong. At the time (like opensuse 10?) I was still unwary of the repos. Having the variety and quantity of packages that opensuse had sort of ran me over. About the third time I broke my video driver, I found PCLinuxOS which was a lot simpler. Once I "cut my teeth" there, I wanted more software and that group does NOT want you adding anything to "their" OS, so I found Kubuntu and have been happy ever since.
      Yeah, I don't think they had Zypper back then. Zypper is the only tool that makes living with RPMs bearable. To be fair, I always thought openSUSE was slow, bloated, outdated, they've only really been able to shake that image with 12.2 and now 12.3. Their systemd migration was pretty good but they do silly things when it comes to design choice like not adopting DKMS by default. Also nvidia and intel mesa drivers can't be installed simulatenously which means I have to install nvidia, move the folder, then reinstall mesa to get bumblebee working. Its very frustrating, fortunately nvidia driver updates aren't very frequent. Bumblebee on Kubuntu is 100% smooth and simple.

Comment

The answer is relatively simple.

By default, the User Agent string (at least in Firefox) for Kubuntu shows Ubuntu as the OS instead.

Since many OS usage statistics (such as W3Techs) are compiled by analyzing user agent strings, all Kubuntu users inaccurately appear to be using Ubuntu instead (as identified by the user agent strings).

If you want Kubuntu to be counted by these services, change your default user-agent string in Firefox directly using the about:config settings:

Firefox -> about:config -> Search: useragent -> general.useragent.enable_overrides -> Toggle (so that the value is true) -> <right-click> -> New -> String -> Enter the preference name: general.useragent.override -> OK -> general.useragent.override: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Kubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0 -> OK -> Restart Firefox

For more info cf. http://www.brighthub.com/internet/go...les/90768.aspx

An alternative is to use the Firefox plug-in/add-on User Agent Switcher instead ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...gent-switcher/ ) , but it is less consistent because it reverts to the default user agent string each time you restart Firefox.

For full info see (K)Ubuntuguide at http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Template...in_for_Firefox

When I do an online scan of my Kubuntu OS online logged in with Konqueror (whose user agent identifies it as a KHTML browser), it comes up as "unknown OS," which also wouldn't be counted.

In short, there might be far more Kubuntu users than it appears.
        Last edited by perspectoff; Apr 04, 2014, 04:30 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
        and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
          Lastly, I find RPMs easier to package.
          i was trying to pack some of the software on my ppa to RPM and had all kinds of problems. packing RPM's is way harder (for me) then creating deb files. Long story short i write some tools for some specilized stuff and was trying to use the openSuse build system to package for different distros (to replace launchpad mostly). Since they need to be RPM format i was having one hell of a time.Prehaps if you have some time you can maybe look at one and help me get them packed up ? the main tool i would start with this since its the one i write myself so i know it the best. (the others are ones i only code small bits and package)
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I will reply AGAIN........... I have said this MULTIPLE times...........

The "cognoscenti" and a bunch of "new users" should get together and........

MAKE A SINGLE DOCUMENT........... that will fit within the "height" of a "monitor" that shows, with links, and text SIMPLY........"what is going on" with the "cashew" and "widgets" etc. and LINK to other sites/ YouTube videos the ADVANTAGES of KDE...

compared to "other 'nixs" and Windblows.

"Minnesota Mining and Mineral" company........."3M"...........had, and STILL HAS a policy in which if ANY DOOF..........

IN THE MAILROOM.....................

submits a single idea, one a single sheet of paper, on ONE SIDE that paper that it WILL BE CONSIDERED at the "highest levels"..........

Now.............do all of the become enabled...............NO..............

BUT..............."post it notes" started out that way..........

SURELY WITH THE HUGE NUMBERS OF PEOPLE AT THE FORUM AND THE.....

Capabilities of Blue Systems.........

"WE"..............notice.........

"WE" could come up with "one side, one sheet"..!!!!!!

JEEZE LOUISE.................how many times do I have to post this!!!!?

And...........it is never done.

wood

gettingtothestageofbeyondcaring

smoke

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
              My TOP TEN reasons;

Ok, I am sorry, but my point is, anyone can make up a top ten list, it don't mean a thing.
              That's so meta, dude.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                You should look at Rosa.
                Rosa's origins in Russia gives me the creeps. I've had to help folks recover from too many attacked computers where we had good reason to think that the origin was somewere inside the Russian Business Network. Personally, I worry about the RBN than I do about malicious state, semi-state, or non-state actors from China. That said, I'm also leery of Chinese software. I've removed all Russian and Chinese apps from my Nexuses 4, 7 and 10.

Now then, I realize that I can review Rosa's source code. But I don't have the time to do that, and I'll the first to admit that developers smarter than me could easily hide bad code within the good and I'd never even see it. I wonder if anyone outside Russia has conducted a thorough code review, including static and dynamic analsys, fuzz testing, and other detection techiques.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                  JEEZE LOUISE.................how many times do I have to post this!!!!?

And...........it is never done.
                  No one's stopping you from starting. And if you think that you don't know enough to write everything, perhaps simply taking the iniative to start will attract other contributors. That's kind of the Linux way, isn't it?

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                  wood

gettingtothestageofbeyondcaring

smoke
                  That's rather unkind.

Comment

Working...
                  X