This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I lose without kubuntu-desktop?

I'm planning to do a server install (minimal install from the Alternate Install CD), and then just install kde-core, instead of kubuntu-desktop.

My question would be what do I lose by not installing kubuntu-desktop? I know that I will not be getting the kubuntu default settings, for one. But are there other side effects that I might encounter? Will I have problems upgrading packages? Or will I have dependency problems?

A side/related question would be, if I did a server (minimal) install and then installed kubuntu-desktop, would I end up with a smaller, lighter system or will it be exactly, as in exactly the same if I did a normal Kubuntu install?

Thanks!
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: What do I lose without kubuntu-desktop?

If you're doing a 'server' install, why not use the Ubuntu server edition ? The point to a server is to *not* have X, and surely not to have KDE, Gnome or anything else like that, since it's, well, afterall....a server. You do all the work on it via ssh from another box on your local LAN, or from any other computer when you are away from home.

I totally don't understand doing a 'server' and yet you want a graphical interface on it. If you're going to have a GUI, then just install regular Kubuntu or Ubuntu from the alternate CD like you normally would any box you use with the GUI stuff on it currently.

As far as the part about having dep issues, I can't answer that. I'd think if you wanted a GUI on it, you'd install the whole thing. Rather it be Gnome, KDE, or something lightweight like Xfce or fluxbox or something.

Comment

Well, that's one meaning of the "server" install. It could also be considered like Debian's "net install". I don't want to use Ubuntu Server, because I don't need LAMP.

The reason why I'm planning to make a server (minimal) install is because I want to be sure that only what I absolutely need will be installed, specially when it comes to kernel modules. Then I'm going to install KDE Core, not kubuntu-desktop to install only the base KDE stuff. I'm trying this to see if it's possible to have a Kubuntu system that's (probably a bit) faster than what I already have, without having to recompile the kernel.

Oh, and I'm going to test this on a different partition, so no harm really to my existing system. I'm just worried that I might run into some upgrading or dependency problems in the future.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Firstly, isn't apt supposed to sort out dependencies for you?

Secondly building a custom kernel is a hell of a lot easier than trying to install a graphical front end via aptitude or similar, in my experience anyhow.

It is possible to build a 'lighter weight' kde environment, but you invariably end up missing certain funtionalities, install more stuff, and ultimately defeat the objective of the exercise. Just throw a light weight WM like enlightenment at it and you'll accept the loss of functionality and it'll annoy you a lot less as there is little to be done about it.

Comment

@Jucato: What you're proposing to do is what every Debian user running KDE has been doing for years. As Teppic pointed out, APT is supposed to solve the dependency problems for you. I also agree that trying to install KDE with Aptitude is a task that I wouldn't undertake, but I've installed it with apt-get twice, without the benefit of a Kubuntu-desktop-like package. Install kdebase and then go from there with the stuff you really need. I'd be intereested in seeing how much of Kubuntu destop, you can live without, i.e. how much memory can a sophisticated user save by (in essence) rolling his own Kubuntu. Jubuntu?

Comment

@ Jucato:
            This is something I've tried myself but I'm a bit too n00b for this. If you get it to work could you post your findings and a HowTo?

Comment

Heh. Jubuntu.

Comment

@Caesar Tjalbo: Sure. But it's still highly experimental for me. And also I've had to remove that install temporarily to make room for testing Edgy.

One thing I've realized is that in order for this to work, you really have to know what you're doing and what you need to install. For example, I didn't realize that this base install didn't include HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) or D-Bus, 2 important things.

I'll probably update this thread once I get the hang of it.
                Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Isn't that the idea behind Xubuntu? Did you try that?

Comment

I did, but while I liked Xfce's speed, it's too simple for my own taste. And it lacks the customization that I need/want and that KDE gives.

Besides, it's not entirely impossible to have a small and fast KDE installation. Looking at PCLinuxOS MiniMe/Junior, which runs fast even on Live CD (I haven't installed them yet) tells me that it's a possibility. It's a matter of discovering out how to do that.
                    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
                    X