This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I Set Up A VPN Server?

I have looked at the ubuntu-wiki documentation on how to set up a VPN server "Open VPN I think", it looks like some work, I would like to know if there is an easy method?

I want to VPN into my computer, when I am on an unsecured wifi.

SSH would be nice too!
    Rob

ssh is very simple just install the server/client meta package on both boxes ,,,,,,,,forward port 22 through your router at home ,,,when out you can log in to the home box with a simple
    Code:
    ssh yourusername@yourIPaddress
    it will ask you if your shure you want to conect to this as yet untrusted conection type y and hit enter,,,,now it will ask for your password ,,you will see nothing on the screen wile you type it ,,,when you are done hit enter .....thats it your in
    the user name and password must be the one from the box you are connecting TO !!!! if you want to use GUI apps on the box you are connecting to do it like this
    Code:
    ssh -X yourusername@yourIPaddress

I used it this way to fire up cheese on a old box and view the webcam of the living room wile I was away ,,,,,,,,,tehehe
    if using it from inside your LAN just use the local IP 192.168.bla.bla what ever it is

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny.

I have SSH setup and am connecting between the LAN.

Question?
      forward port 22 through your router at home
      Where do I do this at? In my router settings? or in SSH?
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Robtygart View Post
        Thanks Vinny.

I have SSH setup and am connecting between the LAN.

Question?

Where do I do this at? In my router settings? or in SSH?
        At the router. To be fair, it could be even more complex than this if your router sits behind another firewall and/or router as well.

Comment

Working...
        X