This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Folding at home

give it any name you want, most provide the name they normally use on forums

team # is 51238

Comment

Closed the running instance and did the -config. Now i don't see it running anywhere. I'll find it somewhere (I hope).

Comment

(semi-ripped from the ubuntu forum)

Configuring the client. The client will ask you some question and you will give it some answers to optimize it for your computer.

- User name [enter a username] make up one
        - Team number: 51238 of course
        - Ask before fetching/sending [no] best to say no here.
        - Use Proxy yes/no: most people will probably say no here.
        - Allow receipt of work assignments and return of work results greaterthan 5MB in size (such work units may have large memory demands) yes/no: less than 256MB RAM no, 512MB or more yes.
        - Change advanced options [yes] type no unless you've got a dual core cpu, otherwise ...

Core Priority [idle] type idle here
        CPU Usage [100] if this comes up type 100
        Disable highly optimized assembly code [no] type no here
        Interval, in minutes, between checkpoints (3-30) [I choose 15] you can choose more if you have battery backup and have a stable computer. This is how often to save the state.
        Request work units without deadlines [no] your choice but I chose no
        Ignore any deadline information (mainly useful if system clock has
        errors) [no] I chose no as my clock is accurate.
        Machine ID ( 1-8 ) [1] type 1 here

Comment

Originally posted by n7vrz
          Closed the running instance and did the -config. Now i don't see it running anywhere. I'll find it somewhere (I hope).
          Just start it again, in my case

Code:
          cd /home/actinic/folding
          Code:
          ./FAH504-Linux.exe
          If you want to tweak your configuration settings a bit more you can edit your client.cfg file.  Here's mine ...

[settings]
          username=actinic
          team=51238
          asknet=no
          machineid=1
          local=3

[http]
          active=no
          host=localhost
          port=8080

Comment

I think I have everything sorted now. But one last two part question: I have Konsole open showing that the program is running. If I close the Konsole will the program stop also? Or will it continue to run in the background?
            BTW, I have 3 computers right now. One with XP PRO, one with Kubuntu, both running FAH. The third has Xandros and that will be setup next.
            My plans for down the road are for a Linux server. Connected to it will be a bunch of diskless computers running thru a hub to the server. All running FAH.
            I have access to a surplus site for a major corporation. They are constantly upgrading their network so have lots of computers that go thru surplus. I get a discount too. 8)

Comment

Whoa, sounds like you've got access to a bit of firepower there!

Yes, if the konsole is closed the app stops running.  Now there's alot of tricky ways to run folding (as a service, at start up, etc) but for now this is the quick & dirty way

One suggestion, however.  If you've got fairly powerful pc's (P4, Athlon XP or higher) you can maximize point production through the use of 'flags' which are additional command options.

Here's how I start folding:

Code:
              ./FAH504-Linux.exe -forceasm -verbosity 9 -advmethods
              This puts slightly higher demand on the processor but regardless you should have adequate cooling as the cpu runs basically 100% load with or without the flags.

A more detailed explanation of their functions is here:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/console-userguide.txt

For the windows client you add these flags by creating a shortcut on the desktop, right click on it, and in properties add them.

Comment

Wanted to add that for the windows client stick with the 'no-nonsense', non-graphical version if point production is more important than eye candy. The graphical uses more cpu cycles.

Comment

woohoo, first points are on the board!

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...&teamnum=51238

Comment

The other computer that had Xandros (notice I said had) now has Kubuntu on it and it is also Folding.
                    3 up and running. 1 windows, 2 Kubuntu
                    I have enough pieces left over from other 'projects' I could almost have 2 more. That's without the surplus store aquisitions.
                    When I finally got the first Kubuntu running correctly I found it had a 1161 point WU on it.
                    1161 points !!!

Comment

Oh baby I can't wait til that one completes!

I'm adding 2 more boxes tomorrow.  Between you and I we should give Kubuntu a nice little kick start

Comment

Hello,

My first post here...just installed Kubuntu 5.04 on my x2 A64 rig, so I could participate in Pande group's  SMP client  beta testing  (see link) http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic16710.html .    I'm still learning Linux, been 'flirting' with various distro's for a couple years.  This is my first install of Kubuntu...nice distro, will be using it regularly.    I just followed the instructions given in a previous post , regarding the install of the FAH client.  Ops! Didn't get a chance to add username/team/etc.     In Windows the CRTL+"C" command kills the process. What's a good way to kill it in Ubuntu?   Also, how can the username/team config be changed in console?

Comment

Working...
                        X