This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screensaver not working???

Have a normal install of Kubuntu 6.06 with the KDE 3.5.4 desktop enviro. with no mods or additional eye candy installed.

Set the screen saver to start after 5 minutes and it never does?

Within the panel to chose a screen saver, I can test it from the radio button and it
    (or any other screensaver choices) functions fine.

The screen saver never seems to kick in. Screen saver settings is set to start automatically after 5 min. all the OpenGL screensavers etc all "test" ok but none ever starts.

No errors are posted, it is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Any ideas where to look

Charlie

Re: Screensaver not working

There is an (apparently, unfixed in Kubuntu) glitch in KDE that prevents starting screen savers without using the lock button. The fix has been known since about a week after 3.5.3 came out. If you search the forums, someone here, posted a fix. Personally, I tend to use screen locking any way so I haven't tried it, but others have said that it works.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      There is an (apparently, unfixed in Kubuntu) glitch in KDE that prevents starting screen savers without using the lock button.  The fix has been known since about a week after 3.5.3 came out.  If you search the forums, someone here, posted a fix.  Personally, I tend to use screen locking any way so I haven't tried it, but others have said that it works.
      Thanks Al,
      I will check the forum as you suggest.
      Relative noob here so I am still finding my way thru the darkness......

Charlie

Comment

UPDATE Re: Screensaver not working

Interesting followup to this problem:
        When I installed KDE 3.5.4 (which supposedly fixed this screensaver problem)
        my screen saver "works" but goes to a blank screen.
        This behaviour is the same for all the screen savers I have tried.

Again, more of an annoyance really. At least the screen blanks and
        returns via a keystroke or mouse move.

All else on my Kubuntu 6.06.1 system operates fine so I really
        dont want to upset the balance for a trival thing like this!

Charlie

Comment

Hi,

I have the same problem. With KDE 3.5.3 screensavers would not work at all. Now with 3.5.4 I get the "blank screen" screensaver, but the test preview works fine. Strange enough, I have 2 notebooks that are different brand, but both run the same version of Kubuntu 6.0.6.1, the same updates etc. One never had problems with screensavers, the other has them from the beginning.

Could it be hardware / driver related?

Samy

Comment

Originally posted by samykovac
            Hi,

I have the same problem. With KDE 3.5.3 screensavers would not work at all. Now with 3.5.4 I get the "blank screen" screensaver, but the test preview works fine. Strange enough, I have 2 notebooks that are different brand, but both run the same version of Kubuntu 6.0.6.1, the same updates etc. One never had problems with screensavers, the other has them from the beginning.

Could it be hardware / driver related?

Samy
            I don't have a direct answer for your question, but I have the same problem. Essentially, it works if I test drive the screensaver, but it never loads it other than a blank screen. Now, before I installed the correct driver for my nvidia card, it didn't even test the screen saver. Once I did get the driver installed, it would at least test it. Perhaps there is a setting with 3D or something that doesn't seem to click. I'm a permanewb with linux so I'm in the dark.

Comment

Same problem here: blank screen saver after upgrading to KDE 3.5.4. After googling, it seems this problem is not specific to Kubuntu. I saw some Slackware folks complaining about it, too, here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=441670

Someone there suggested it can be fixed by changing the "DPMS-dependent" flag in ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc, but I wonder what side-effects that could have. I'm running a laptop with the proprietary ATI display driver.

Comment

SOLVED! I needed to add:

Code:
                Option "DPMS"
                to BOTH Monitor sections of my xorg.conf file. After that, all works perfectly. Fiound the answer in this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7535.0

Again, this is for KDE 3.5.4. Could never get the screen saver to start at all with 3.5.3.

Comment

Thanks Rob , I will try this and report the results here.

Charlie

Comment

Working...
                  X