This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need root access

I will admit that it has been a while since I used kubuntu, I used to have suse on my computer but after my hard disk corrupted I didn't want a bulky install like last time. However I've come across a problem. In the past I practically used linux for everything, but now that I have business related software that needs windows I set up a shared partition between windows and linux. Now I am attempting the same setup but I need root access to edit and view the neccessary files. I need root access and terminal access will not work in this situation.

If I can't use root access on kubuntu I have a backup solution, I just need the commands to mount and unmount partitions in the terminal.

Re: Need root access

Nevermind, I found the partition manager, which let me perform the setup with ease. Thanks to anybody who read my posting and was going to help.

Comment

Kubuntu uses 'sudo' in place of actually becoming the root user. So just prefix your commands with 'sudo' when you need to do something as super user.

Comment

And if you need to run GUI programs 'as root' use 'kdesu', for example:
        Code:
        kdesu konqueror
        For more information on root and sudo on (k)ubuntu:
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Comment

I'm new addmittly but i believe that Root access to somthing that should be easly accessable. however i see ware your coming from and sense i really dont fit in the catagory of linux newbie average computer user. i fit more in the computer freak linux newbie meaning im willing to put up with frustration and irration untill i get it down as pat as the rest of you guys here.

however thats just mny 2 cents root access as a user is somthing i belive is useful. (thanks for kubuntu so far its just like linux was supposed to be when i first heard about it)

Comment

As is pointed out in the RootSudo reference above, root access is a security hole, albeit a minor one if your root password is strong. It's also dangerous. Suppose you need to run 3 or 4 commands as root. If you have any difficulties that can turn into 6 or 7, by which time you've forgotten that you're root, and that's when the trouble strikes. Typing "sudo" before every root command is a nice reminder to pay attention.

Comment

Working...
            X