Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu insists my Asus Transformer is a camera - won't transfer files to it

All excited with my new Transformer, plugged it into the USB expecting to copy a load of files to it for after-hours reading and watching, but NOOO!

Kubuntu (12.04 to be Precise) insists on mounting it as a Camera. The Transformer is in debug mode, configured to connect using MTP (Media device) and not PTP (Camera). The Kubuntu USB widget shows it as 3 devices, all cameras - evidently seeing the Tranformer's cameras as separate devices. But, on selecting the "Asus Transformer" it still mounts as a camera. The nett result is that KDE refuses to copy files to it (though why it would/should refuse to copy arbitrary files to a camera is beyond me - I've often in the past carted files around using my camera as a handy form of thumb-drive.)

Where/how do I tell KDE that this device is emphatically NOT a camera?

While waiting for someone who actually knows about such things to turn up ...

The first thought that occurs to me was a usb_modeswitch problem. Perhaps the Transformer is presenting both a camera and a mass storage device. But I don't think that's likely to be relevant.

Then I found this: How to Connect Asus EeePad Transformer via USB in Ubuntu - YouTube It's Ubuntu not Kubuntu but that shouldn't matter. It annoys me when you have to watch a video to learn something that could have been explained in a paragraph ... and it annoys me to have people expect me to run some random script instead of just saying what packages and/or commands you need ... but it looks like a solution. Definitely worth trying at least.

He's suggesting package mtpfs and a script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #Transformer Mount Script
    #Created by QuidsUp
    #Last Edited 27 Nov 2011
    #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MntDev() {
      #Check if the folder /media/Transformer already exists
      if [ -d /media/Transformer ]; then
        echo "Mount Point /media/Transformer exists, unmounting the device now..."
        sudo umount /media/Transformer
        sudo rm -r /media/Transformer
        echo "Asus Transformer Unmounted"
        echo "Re-run this script if you would like to mount the device again"
      else
        echo "Mounting Asus Transformer..."
        sudo mkdir /media/Transformer
        sudo chmod 775 /media/Transformer
        sudo mtpfs -o allow_other /media/Transformer
        echo ""
        echo "Asus Transformer Mounted at /media/Transformer"
        echo "Re-run this script to Unmount the device"
        echo ""
        echo "Please wait a Minute for Tablet to complete mounting..."    
      fi
    }
    #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

echo "Asus Transformer Mount Script for Ubuntu"
    echo "Created by QuidsUp"
    echo ""

#Need to check of mtpfs exists
    if which mount.mtpfs >/dev/null; then
      MntDev
    else
      echo "Package MTPFS is not installed"
      echo "Installing Package now..."
      echo ""
      sudo apt-get install mtpfs
      echo ""
      #Has package actually installed? Check again
      if which mount.mtpfs >/dev/null; then
        echo "MTPFS Successfully Installed."
        MntDev
      else
        echo "Installation of MTPFS failed"
        echo "Please Install package MTPFS, and then re-run this script"
      fi  
    fi
    (No licence stated so I am assuming the author is happy with the code being reproduced here)
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Custom rom or stock? If its custom then MTP will often be borked and require manually editing some rules otherwise its odd that it won't work painlessly.

Comment

This is true for Android 4, Google removed the USB mass storage stuff. Nothing about Kubuntu.

I tried installing mtpfs for my Samsung, then eventually found I have to root the phone to get it to work.

[Edit] Well, wouldn't ya know it. I re-googled, and noticed that others had had success if they used the mtp tools within 3 seconds of plugging in the phone and it worked.

I had installed mtp-tools, mtpfs, and libmtp-dev, and I had built jmtpfs from
        http://research.jacquette.com/jmtpfs...ces-and-linux/
        a month ago, but no joy. (I expect some serious attention to mtp support in linux now.)

jmtpfs just gives one a fuse mount, with limitations, so one can, say, browse the phone with dolphin. I imagine a udev rule could do the mount automatically within the three seconds, but I doubt if I'll bother.
        Last edited by jlittle; Sep 02, 2012, 04:16 AM. Reason: further findings
        Regards, John Little

Comment

UMS was not removed entirely. It's just unavailable to devices without a removable SD card for some retarded reason.

Comment

My Samsung Galaxy S 3 has a removable SD card, but only the camera, read-only, PTP, mount appears.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

If you are running CM then its simple, connect it. System Settings > Storage (Click menu) > USB computer connection > Mass Storage. Done and dusted. Stock S3 also has it (I just checked.) That procedure works for most custom roms but some stock ones don't have UMS.

Comment

Working...
              X